It Is Disconcerting When You Score 13 Runs And Have To Bring In Your Closer

JayThomas

I think that expresses the sentiment that all of us are saying/feeling.

We may stay afloat because we are capable of scoring 13 and simply bludgeoning the opposing pitchers. (But) the fact that we have to bring in our closer when we score 13 does and should worry us all.

How do we get out of this starting pitching mess?

I think we have to sink or swim with Gaus. He simply has to come through this and be the guy that we hope that he will be.

We have to ride Wilson and hope that Tillman can sustain his performance.

Then what? Jimenez has come completely unglued. With his mechanics now unrepeatably bad, how can he be fixed in time to be net helpful rather than net hurtful?

We have to hope that Gallardo can come back refreshed at 91-93, but on what can we base that hope? He had a whole offseason to recover from any ailments and came into spring at 85-89.

I would love nothing more right now than for Wright to pull out of his tailspin, but he is clearly deep in Cabrera/Arrieta freak-out zone now. I think one thing for sure is that he should go down and relax and get ready to come back up and help us.

So at this point, if we ship Wright out, there are 2 spots to fill. (And) no, I don't expect Ubaldo and Gallardo to fill them capably.

Worley? Bundy as an early 3-4 inning starter? Isn't that better to run Bundy out there for 4 innings and 1 run than to run Ubaldo out there for 4 innings and 5 runs?

Does anyone see a realistic solution here?

I am not disconcerted by tonight's game. AL teams have allowed 9+ runs in a game 71 times this year, about 4.7 times per team. We've done it 4 times. It happens. The fact that we won is impressive. The team showed a ton of resilience.

I am not disconcerted by tonight's game. AL teams have allowed 9+ runs in a game 71 times this year, about 4.7 times per team. We've done it 4 times. It happens. The fact that we won is impressive. The team showed a ton of resilience.

Glass half full. I see the glass as at least half empty at the moment, at least w.r.t. the starting rotation.

I think that expresses the sentiment that all of us are saying/feeling.

We may stay afloat because we are capable of scoring 13 and simply bludgeoning the opposing pitchers. (But) the fact that we have to bring in our closer when we score 13 does and should worry us all.

How do we get out of this starting pitching mess?

I think we have to sink or swim with Gaus. He simply has to come through this and be the guy that we hope that he will be.

We have to ride Wilson and hope that Tillman can sustain his performance.

Then what? Jimenez has come completely unglued. With his mechanics now unrepeatably bad, how can he be fixed in time to be net helpful rather than net hurtful?

We have to hope that Gallardo can come back refreshed at 91-93, but on what can we base that hope? He had a whole offseason to recover from any ailments and came into spring at 85-89.

I would love nothing more right now than for Wright to pull out of his tailspin, but he is clearly deep in Cabrera/Arrieta freak-out zone now. I think one thing for sure is that he should go down and relax and get ready to come back up and help us.

So at this point, if we ship Wright out, there are 2 spots to fill. (And) no, I don't expect Ubaldo and Gallardo to fill them capably.

Worley? Bundy as an early 3-4 inning starter? Isn't that better to run Bundy out there for 4 innings and 1 run than to run Ubaldo out there for 4 innings and 5 runs?

Does anyone see a realistic solution here?

Actually, I was happy to see the bats come alive. Hopefully, they can stay alive for most of the season. One hopeful aspect is that the O's offense could score 13 runs and not have to hit a single home run. They hit singles, doubles, sacrifice flies, walks to get RBIs. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the HRs. But if they constantly swing for the fences, it's a very streaky, 1-dimensional offense.

As for the starting pitching right now, I would have a rotation of

Tillman

Gausman

Wilson

Gallardo

McFarland/Worley

Bullpen:

McFarland/Worley

Ubaldo

Givens

Tolliver

Bundy

Brach

O'Day

Britton

Sent to AAA: Wright

Disclaimer: Not sure if all of these will fit on the 25 man roster.

Actually, I was happy to see the bats come alive. Hopefully, they can stay alive for most of the season. One hopeful aspect is that the O's offense could score 13 runs and not have to hit a single home run. They hit singles, doubles, sacrifice flies, walks to get RBIs. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the HRs. But if they constantly swing for the fences, it's a very streaky, 1-dimensional offense.

As for the starting pitching right now, I would have a rotation of

Tillman

Gausman

Wilson

Gallardo

McFarland/Worley

Bullpen:

McFarland/Worley

Ubaldo

Givens

Tolliver

Bundy

Brach

O'Day

Britton

Sent to AAA: Wright

Disclaimer: Not sure if all of these will fit on the 25 man roster.

Tolliver is back in AAA, at least for the moment. I think they could use the current disarray to give Drake a look in the bullpen, with Worley in the rotation and McFarland in the pen to match up against lefties when needed.

It's a lot more disconcerting when you allow 13 runs and lose.

I think it is more disconcerting to score 9 runs and lose. I would say the only thing that you can get out of the game that is bad is what I have been saying all along that Mike Wright isn't a major league starters. The team needs to make a trade for a starter. Or it isn't going anywhere.

Archived