What Moves Would You Make To Improve The Rotation?

crawjo

Assuming there isn't a magic solution out there in the trade market, this is what I would do:

1. Release Jimenez. Those costs are sunk at this point, as far as I can see. I like that the Dodgers cut ties with Carl Crawford. We should do the same with Jimenez.

2. Move Worley into the rotation. I think he's capable of giving up less than a 5.00 ERA in that role if we limit him to five or six innings per start. This would be a significant improvement over Jimenez. On the down side, we'd lose Worley as the long-relief option, but I feel that it should be easier to find a replacement in that category from the minors, the trade market, or the waiver wire.

3. Move Wright into the bullpen when Gallardo returns. I think with his velocity he profiles as a useful bullpen piece who might be able to help us right now, especially if Worley is in the rotation.

Beyond that, we have to look for a trade opportunity. The rotation as presently constructed is not good enough to win a championship. The bullpen and lineup are good enough. We don't necessarily need a true ace, but we do need a reliable starting pitcher who can give us an ERA under 4.00 or thereabouts. That will not come cheap.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd bit the bullet and promote Hader. I know he just got sent to AAA but he is better than what we currently have. I'd also look into promoting Davies, I was shocked they went with Wilson and Wright over him out of Spring Training.

Oh wait I can't do anything to fix the current situation because Dan traded away our other options.

Assuming there isn't a magic solution out there in the trade market, this is what I would do:

1. Release Jimenez. Those costs are sunk at this point, as far as I can see. I like that the Dodgers cut ties with Carl Crawford. We should do the same with Jimenez.

2. Move Worley into the rotation. I think he's capable of giving up less than a 5.00 ERA in that role if we limit him to five or six innings per start. This would be a significant improvement over Jimenez. On the down side, we'd lose Worley as the long-relief option, but I feel that it should be easier to find a replacement in that category from the minors, the trade market, or the waiver wire.

3. Move Wright into the bullpen when Gallardo returns. I think with his velocity he profiles as a useful bullpen piece who might be able to help us right now, especially if Worley is in the rotation.

Beyond that, we have to look for a trade opportunity. The rotation as presently constructed is not good enough to win a championship. The bullpen and lineup are good enough. We don't necessarily need a true ace, but we do need a reliable starting pitcher who can give us an ERA under 4.00 or thereabouts. That will not come cheap.

4. Pray that Thursday's outing was a turning point for Dylan Bundy and he pitches well enough out of the bullpen allowing the Orioles to put him in the rotation by the all-star break.

4. Pray that Thursday's outing was a turning point for Dylan Bundy and he pitches well enough out of the bullpen allowing the Orioles to put him in the rotation by the all-star break.

First off he isn't holding onto his velocity very well, his stuff is deteriorating by his third inning of work.

Secondly I don't see them letting him go past 80 innings, probably less.

For now, Gallardo replaces Jimenez. Jimenez to bullpen, McFarland to AAA.

Wright is on a very short leash. If he stinks then send him to AAA and put Worley in the rotation for now.

Following that, I think we just have to hope that Wilson, Gallardo, and Worley don't all stink.

For now, Gallardo replaces Jimenez. Jimenez to bullpen, McFarland to AAA.

Wright is on a very short leash. If he stinks then send him to AAA and put Worley in the rotation for now.

Following that, I think we just have to hope that Wilson, Gallardo, and Worley don't all stink.

And that Tillman and Gausman can go 7 strong each start.

Where would they find a

Sadly the options are thin and I think you maybe quite disappointed be Gallardo. Been saying I think their is a greater upside in sending Ubaldo on a long DL stint and pray to the heavens.

DD screwed the pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely time to pull Ubaldo from the rotation. It's just a matter of whether he's released or sent to the bullpen. Frankly, I can't envision him being a decent reliever, so I think I'd probably cut him. But I won't have a cow if they try him in the pen, just so long as he's out of the rotation.

For now, release Ubaldo and replace him in the rotation with Gallardo. Hope that Gallardo, Wilson and Wright can give you 5-6 IP and 3-4 ER more often than not.

I guess you can stash Ubaldo in mop-up relief for now and send McFarland back down, but that's only a temporary fix. Once O'Day is healthy and once Dan trades for a decent LOOGY, there won't be any room for Ubaldo in the bullpen.

Archived