What Moves Would You Make To Improve The Rotation?

crawjo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gonzo has a 3.57 ERA with the ChiSox.

And the Duquette starting pitching failure train continues.

Davies, Hader, ERod, Ubaldo, Jimenez, Gonzo

Christ.

It is one thing to trade pitching prospects at the deadline. Some I was OK with, others not. It is another thing to release a SP with the team history of Gonzo after spring training when you know that you have zero depth (partly because of all those deadline moves you made. I still can't wrap my coconut around that.

Gonzo has a 3.57 ERA with the ChiSox.

And the Duquette starting pitching failure train continues.

Davies, Hader, ERod, Ubaldo, Jimenez, Gonzo

Christ.

But people said I was crazy to talk badly about DD 2 months ago...

We all are held accountable in life. He's not a terrible GM, but his failures with the SP is epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But people said I was crazy to talk badly about DD 2 months ago...

We all are held accountable in life. He's not a terrible GM, but his failures with the SP is epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering how bad Gonzo looked in ST, he looked like Bud Norris all over again, so that move made sense at the time. Shouldn't have traded Erod or Davies, but he did unfortunately. I'd trade for some underrated pitcher, or just sign Hammel back when he becomes a FA this offseason

Considering how bad Gonzo looked in ST, he looked like Bud Norris all over again, so that move made sense at the time. Shouldn't have traded Erod or Davies, but he did unfortunately. I'd trade for some underrated pitcher, or just sign Hammel back when he becomes a FA this offseason

I don't take ST numbers too seriously for a veteran with a track record. Atleast let him start the season here. It was about money. Same with Matusz. Gave up a pick to vet rid of his salary.

I don't take ST numbers too seriously for a veteran with a track record. Atleast let him start the season here. It was about money. Same with Matusz. Gave up a pick to vet rid of his salary.

Matusz was a salary dump, but he sucked so who cares? I honestly thought Gonzo was going to be a pumpkin, but I was wrong too. Oh well, it happens

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Matusz was a salary dump, but he sucked so who cares? I honestly thought Gonzo was going to be a pumpkin, but I was wrong too. Oh well, it happens

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

I care, because they gave up a future pick to get rid of him. Atlanta had no issues paying the money to get a pick. We should have ate the money and cut him. Or better yet, non-tendered him.

No, it made no sense at the time either. It only made sense from a strictly money sense. Miggy still had an option. We refused to exercise it and give him enough time to get past a bit of dead arm, which now he has and will do for the White Sox. And this was a guy who had been a warrior. Nope, the decision was a mistake. Then. And now. So we have Ubaldo and Wright and Wilson and Gallardo...these were the ones we picked over Miggy???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I care, because they gave up a future pick to get rid of him. Atlanta had no issues paying the money to get a pick. We should have ate the money and cut him. Or better yet, non-tendered him.

Absolutely spot on about the tender decision. Another bad Duquette decision. Then and now.

Cutting Gonzo made no damn sense except that Duquette blew his budget on Gallardo. Gonzo had options.

Duquette went into OD with a rotation of Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Ubaldo and Wright.

It's indefensible. Bad roster management. Bad financial management. Just bad all around.

Yeah, the team can mash and the team can relieve....but it doesn't matter if your starting rotation barely goes 5 and lets up 5 or more every damn time.

Cutting Gonzo made no damn sense except that Duquette blew his budget on Gallardo. Gonzo had options.

Duquette went into OD with a rotation of Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo, Ubaldo and Wright.

It's indefensible. Bad roster management. Bad financial management. Just bad all around.

Yeah, the team can mash and the team can relieve....but it doesn't matter if your starting rotation barely goes 5 and lets up 5 or more every damn time.

And the defense that helped the 2014 team whip its FIP hasn't gotten it done the two years since.

No, it made no sense at the time either. It only made sense from a strictly money sense. Miggy still had an option. We refused to exercise it and give him enough time to get past a bit of dead arm, which now he has and will do for the White Sox. And this was a guy who had been a warrior. Nope, the decision was a mistake. Then. And now. So we have Ubaldo and Wright and Wilson and Gallardo...these were the ones we picked over Miggy???

If the FO released Gonzo because he was too expensive and they wanted to dump his salary -- no way will they be willing to eat up 2 years of Ubaldo's salary. Face it, we're stuck with him. Put Ubaldo in the pen and hope that Ramon Martinez can find a way to rehabilitate him.

Unfortunately, the only way to improve the starting pitching is to do the same thing that caused us to be in this bad situation in the first place. We don't have the elite prospects or depth to trade for a TOR or even mid-rotation starter. And we know Duquette will absolutely make at least one trade before the deadline, so I think it's obvious we're looking at trading 2-3 of our more marketable prospects (Sisco, Reyes, Mancini, Hess, Lee) for a Bud Norris type back end starter. Which is exactly what got us to this point of no pitching depth. I get more nervous in anticipation of July 31 every year than I do at tax day...

Eliminate as many number 5 starts as possible.

The Orioles need a number 5 starter 3 times from June 14-July 18. That is 5 weeks and 29 games. They need a number 5 on June 18 and June 25 due to a DH but they can also call someone up that game I think. Also need one on July 2.

Gallardo and Gausman are already behind in innings anyway.

For now I would option Wright for bullpen help this week. Pitch Worley or Despaigne in a spot start. Send Despaigne down for Gallardo, bring him or someone else up to pitch in the DH. If they want to skip Wilson a start here or there to save innings so be it. The schedule allows them to keep an extra arm for about a month. Take advantage of it.

As far as Ubaldo I would understand him being DFA'd but telling the Orioles he goes to the pen for now.

Archived