Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I like his low walk rate.  I'm not convinced that his high GB% is necessarily a good thing as he gets to higher levels.

I'm not convinced his stuff will play at higher levels.  Unlike Frobby I like raw stuff over pitchability in the minors.

45 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

His FIP is 4.68.

I didn't like the stuff i saw in the outing I saw last week. Pretty disappointing overall. Thought the curveball looked better last year and he seemed to throw more changeups. 

Wells had one of the most bizarre lines you'll see this year -- 3 IP, 6 H, 8 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K's.    He was victimized by five errors in the third inning, which, mixed in with five hits, led to eight unearned runs.

Tremendous outing for Wells tonight -- 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K's.    And he did it on 87 pitches.

With the struggles of the Frederick starters, I have to think a mid-year promotion will be strongly considered.   

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tremendous outing for Wells tonight -- 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K's.    And he did it on 87 pitches.

With the struggles of the Frederick starters, I have to think a mid-year promotion will be strongly considered.   

I would hope so considering he's already 20.  If he was 19 I could see leaving him in Delmarva all season. 

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I would hope so considering he's already 20.  If he was 19 I could see leaving him in Delmarva all season. 

20 is still pretty young for Delmarva.  I don't think we're going to see guys get promoted until after the ASB for the minors.  Wells is one of the very few SP's that has had success for us in the minors this year.  

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

20 is still pretty young for Delmarva.  I don't think we're going to see guys get promoted until after the ASB for the minors.  Wells is one of the very few SP's that has had success for us in the minors this year.  

Players who dominate and aren't super young for the league (or old in the case of Jake Ring) should be pushed IMO.  The first half of the minor league season will be over in a couple weeks so we are approaching the second half.   

To that point I like leaving Mountcastle in Frederick all season.  Hays needs to be promoted, soon to be 22. 

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Another good outing for Wells tonight, though he allowed 2 homers and 3 runs in 7 innings.  He only threw 80 pitches in 7 innings, 64 of them (80%!) for strikes.    And of course, no walks.  

2 home runs and 3 runs total is a regular 1 inning for an Orioles starter. He is ahead of the curve!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived