Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe I don't understand what "not being on their pitchers to play" means, but why attened on  taxi squad when he could be getting ready for his minor league season. I find all of this a bunch of crap and not helpful to the players or their organizations for what amounts to some exhibition tournament. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don't feel the same.  It may be an exhibition tournament but there is certainly a lot of national pride involved.  I'm also pretty sure he's not sitting around doing nothing even if he's not pitching in actual games.  

I don't think anyone gives a crap about this tournament, at least anyone who is a fan of a major league team. Do you care if the USA wins? Will you sit around and think, "Man, I remember that last pitch when the USA won the 2017 WBC."

As for Wells, do you trust Australian coaches with the spring training development of your 20-year old prospect? I don't. Now Ii will go and find out whether they are sending Wells off with a plan to stick to and if that's the case I'll feel better, but I much rather know my 20-year old prospect is not pitching for "national pride" when he should be focusing on preparing for his minor league season. 

I'd have a lot less issues with the WBC if it were in November vice the spring, but either way, I could give two cents about the games, and rather not have any Orioles player or minor league farmhand involved unless they were a non-prospect.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think anyone gives a crap about this tournament, at least anyone who is a fan of a major league team. Do you care if the USA wins? Will you sit around and think, "Man, I remember that last pitch when the USA won the 2017 WBC."

As for Wells, do you trust Australian coaches with the spring training development of your 20-year old prospect? I don't. Now Ii will go and find out whether they are sending Wells off with a plan to stick to and if that's the case I'll feel better, but I much rather know my 20-year old prospect is not pitching for "national pride" when he should be focusing on preparing for his minor league season. 

I'd have a lot less issues with the WBC if it were in November vice the spring, but either way, I could give two cents about the games, and rather not have any Orioles player or minor league farmhand involved unless they were a non-prospect.

I don't care if team USA wins but I do enjoy watching the games.  I was certainly rooting for the Netherlands to advance last go around. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't care if team USA wins but I do enjoy watching the games.  I was certainly rooting for the Netherlands to advance last go around. 

Agreed, the games are fun.  I root for USA to advance, but mostly enjoy the games regardless of who is playing.  

7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Agreed, the games are fun.  I root for USA to advance, but mostly enjoy the games regardless of who is playing.  

I will also say that I specifically enjoy watching Oriole minor leaguers play for their country.  I remember Loewen shutting down team USA in 2006 and Schoop's HR against Cuba last time.

Disappointed if Wells isn't going to get a chance to pitch in the WBC. While it certainly sets back the major leaguers who don't get to work day-to-day with their teammates in spring training, I'm less concerned about the minor league guys. If anything, Wells getting to test himself in pressure spots against what would likely be the best competition he's faced would appear to be worthwhile experience. 

• 1 month later...

o

6 Strikeouts in the first 4 Innings.

15 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Popout, 1 Caught Stealing

ALEXANDER JAMES WELLS )))o (vs. Regular-A Greensboro, 4/10)

IP:l)ll5

H:llol6 ll(1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:l.)..l2

BB:llll2

SO:ol6

Pitches: l l82 )(57 )Strikes, )25 Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 3.60 )(Regular-A Delmarva)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.600 )(Regular-A Delmarva)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .300 )(Regular-A Delmarva) ) 6 for 20

PITCHES BY INNING

13 ll(71 lStrikes, o6 llBalls)

17 ll(14 lStrikes, ll3 llBalls)

18 )(13 lStrikes, .l5 llBalls)

19 )(12 lStrikes, .l7 llBalls)

15 )(11 lStrikes, lll4 llBalls)

o

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Another excellent start for Wells: 6 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K's.     I love this kid.  

Seems like his command is impeccable.  

I would like to know if he's added a MPH or two to his fastball.  89-92 sounds a lot better than 87-90.  

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Came out of the game after an inning earlier today in Delmarva.  Injury?

I saw that and was worried, but no.  This game actually started yesterday with Wells starting, but it was postponed after one inning and then completed today, so Wells didn't continue.    

Wells pitched the first game of an early doubleheader for Delmarva today: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K's.     The only run scored off Wells was on a throwing error with 2 outs in the 6th.    Wells pounded the strike zone, 50 strikes on 68 pitches.   A very pitch-efficient outing.  

On the season, 1.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 7.5 K/9, 7.5 K/BB.    He's off to a great start at Delmarva.   

On 4/26/2017 at 0:07 PM, Frobby said:

Wells pitched the first game of an early doubleheader for Delmarva today: 6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K's.     The only run scored off Wells was on a throwing error with 2 outs in the 6th.    Wells pounded the strike zone, 50 strikes on 68 pitches.   A very pitch-efficient outing.  

On the season, 1.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 7.5 K/9, 7.5 K/BB.    He's off to a great start at Delmarva.   

This kid can just pitch. If he can find a way to get his velocity into the 89-91 range he has the chance to be a beast. not saying he can't have some success at his 87-90, but he'll need pinpoint control when he gets to more mature hitters. Saying that, when I saw him last year, I don't think i ever seen a guy who never throws the ball the same speed two times in a row. He has a chance to be a very fast mover. 

I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch this year to compare him from last year.

Archived