Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This kid can just pitch. If he can find a way to get his velocity into the 89-91 range he has the chance to be a beast. not saying he can't have some success at his 87-90, but he'll need pinpoint control when he gets to more mature hitters. Saying that, when I saw him last year, I don't think i ever seen a guy who never throws the ball the same speed two times in a row. He has a chance to be a very fast mover. 

I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch this year to compare him from last year.

As you know, I love pitchers like that.    I'm looking forward to your report when you get a chance to see him.   

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another excellent start from Wells tonight: 6.1 IP,  3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K's.    In the 7th, he had the bases loaded with 1 out and was relieved by Steven Klimek, who escaped the jam.     

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty sure one of those runs was unearned unless they changed the scoring after the game.   

My mistake.     Saw he allowed a 2 run homer and assumed both were earned.  

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty sure one of those runs was unearned unless they changed the scoring after the game.   

Whew.  I was starting to see a bad trend.  0ER, 1ER, 2ER.  I'd hate to see what his lines would be in July. :)

Curious why we don't hear the same round of naysayers when it comes to Alex Wells due to his unspectacular K-rate. When Cristian Alvarado was putting up really impressive outtings we heard that his stuff didn't play and he didn't get enough swings and misses. 

I really want to be excited about Wells. In 19 starts going back to Aberdeen last year, he has an ERA under 2 with a 5.5:1 K:BB ratio. His WHIP is under 1. All of these numbers are great, but we've been conditioned to question any prospect who doesn't have at K-rate of something approaching a K per inning. 

Why the optimism for Wells when others haven't received the same? 

2 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Curious why we don't hear the same round of naysayers when it comes to Alex Wells due to his unspectacular K-rate. When Cristian Alvarado was putting up really impressive outtings we heard that his stuff didn't play and he didn't get enough swings and misses. 

I really want to be excited about Wells. In 19 starts going back to Aberdeen last year, he has an ERA under 2 with a 5.5:1 K:BB ratio. His WHIP is under 1. All of these numbers are great, but we've been conditioned to question any prospect who doesn't have at K-rate of something approaching a K per inning. 

I'm skeptical of pitchability guys that lack raw stuff.

You happy now?

13 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

I had Wells a little lower on my top 30 than most.  6.5 K/9 is a concern.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm skeptical of pitchability guys that lack raw stuff.

You happy now?

Not sure the cause of sarcasm. I think it's a reasonable question. But you have a whole bunch of cred icons, so I guess you've earned the right to be condescending on this board and shutdown questions. Cheers.

1 hour ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Because he's very young for his level of competition.    But it remains to be seen how well he'll do as he moves up.  

1 hour ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Not sure the cause of sarcasm. I think it's a reasonable question. But you have a whole bunch of cred icons, so I guess you've earned the right to be condescending on this board and shutdown questions. Cheers.

I gave you an honest answer.

Wells is LH.  There tends to be more optimism with lefty pitchers that have his type of stuff.   

You don't really hear about the "crafty righty".

I think we are all hoping Wells adds a a few MPH to his fastball.  If not he still may be able to make it as a back end starter.  

11 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Great point. I think of Alvarado every time I want to rank this guy high. My purely pitching rankings would be,

1. Harvey

2.  Sedlock

3. Akin

4. Scott

5. Lee

6.  Wells

7.  Liranzo

8,  Peralta

9. Dietz

10. Hess

Archived