Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He walked as many batters yesterday (3) as he had in all his previous outings combined.

He did.

2 of those 3 walks occurred in his final inning of work, in which his pitch-count was high. He may have been tiring, although I did not see the game.

In his first 5 innings he had 1 walk, and his strikes-to-balls ratio was: 74 (47 Strikes, 27 Balls.) That's better than his finally tally including his 6th and final inning, but still not as good as what he usually has. Perhaps he just had a sub-par game in terms of control, as you suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

o

Wells faced the minimum 15 batters over 5 innings.

The lone base-runner that reached safely via a single was erased on a double play.

15 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts

ALEXANDER MICHAEL WELLS oo (vs. Advanced Rookie League-Lowell, 8/12)

IP:. 5

H:;; 1 ll(1 Single)

R:l) 0

BB:)0

SO:)5

Pitches: Unavailable

2016 ERA: 2.03 (Advanced Rookie League-Aberdeen)

PITCHES BY INNING

Unavailable

Wells and Hays are both pretty exciting prospects right now.

Wells is averaging 1 walk per 12 innings pitched. That's insane! And Hays could be the first true five tool prospect we have had in awhile. I'm excited to see how they fair in Delmarva next year. Could Hays be ticketed straight to Frederick? Delmarva could have a full OF next year with McKenna, Billingsley, possibly Gassaway still there.

Alex looks to be just too good for Aberdeen.

He has a bit of a deceptive fastball; he turns his back a bit in his delivery, and appears to hide it well. He gets lots of missed swings on the fastball, which he looks to be able locate very well. He stayed at 90-91 all 5 innings.

He has a "show me" curve ball, but really telegraphs it.

His change needs a lot of work. I only saw a few, and it was coming in too fast at 85.

Also working in his favor is that he's very athletic - looks to field his position well. He holds runners well as a LH, and seems to have a quick time to the plate. The pickoff move needs work though.

If he can get those secondaries to progress, there is a lot to get excited about. At only 19, he still has to grow into his body, so the velocity may continue to move up.

Alex looks to be just too good for Aberdeen.

He has a bit of a deceptive fastball; he turns his back a bit in his delivery, and appears to hide it well. He gets lots of missed swings on the fastball, which he looks to be able locate very well. He stayed at 90-91 all 5 innings.

He has a "show me" curve ball, but really telegraphs it.

His change needs a lot of work. I only saw a few, and it was coming in too fast at 85.

Also working in his favor is that he's very athletic - looks to field his position well. He holds runners well as a LH, and seems to have a quick time to the plate. The pickoff move needs work though.

If he can get those secondaries to progress, there is a lot to get excited about. At only 19, he still has to grow into his body, so the velocity may continue to move up.

If he works on the telegraphing for the curve and reduces the speed of the changeup during the winter, I could see him in Delmarva to start next season. If he keeps showing up the way he does, Frederick by the All-Star break.

You're right about the athletic ability. During their open practice and games, he was one of their best at going from the mound to first to cover, something most of the other pitchers have had a horrible time accomplishing.

If he works on the telegraphing for the curve and reduces the speed of the changeup during the winter, I could see him in Delmarva to start next season. If he keeps showing up the way he does, Frederick by the All-Star break.

You're right about the athletic ability. During their open practice and games, he was one of their best at going from the mound to first to cover, something most of the other pitchers have had a horrible time accomplishing.

I think he's ready for Delmarva today - but he just needs innings and to get used to the routine this year, so I don't think time at ABD is not still well spent.

Moving up the ladder will force him to work on his other pitches though.

And one note I forgot to share - in the 5 innings I saw, there was a total one hard hit ball. It was a one hop liner to short, and the SS made a slick play for the out.

The rest of the outs were all weak contact, and I'm not sure an OF had to track backwards once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And one note I forgot to share - in the 5 innings I saw, there was a total one hard hit ball. It was a one hop liner to short, and the SS made a slick play for the out.

The rest of the outs were all weak contact, and I'm not sure an OF had to track backwards once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seem him pitch a few times too. Hitters haven't made solid contact on him too much. I think the hardest hit ball so far was the one that came back and hit him. I got to talk to him a few days later and he said he never saw it.

I think being in Aberdeen has been good for him. Get him used to the routine, like you said. No need to rush him just to try and bolster a bullpen in a few seasons before he is ready.

Archived