Kim?

cheecks

2016 BB%

Batting 1st - 5.6% (177 PAs)

Batting 2nd - 0.0% (23 PAs)

Batting 3rd - 7.7% (117 PAs)

Batting 4th - 11.1% (18 PAs)

Batting 5th - 8.3% (12 PAs)

Way too small a sample size to draw any "walk rate" conclusions.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, over the last 30 games (roughly the time he's been in the leadoff spot) his walk rate is up (only slightly), and his strikeout rate is down (only slightly).

But his average is up a ton. (hacking restraint, and better contact).

I suppose it's possible that it was coincidence that his turnaround immediately followed the change in the order, but it would seem more likely that there was some relation. (whether psychological or otherwise).

I think your starting assumption in any question like this in baseball is that there is no cause-and-effect and that you need rather overwhelming, statistically significant data to change that assumption. Or, paraphrasing a recent Bill James piece "Events in baseball behave like they are functionally random." I would have substituted independent for random.

Fantastic AB last night to set up Manny's big bomb. Got down 0-2 and worked a walk against a tough pitcher. Ball two was just off the plate but Kim didn't flinch. Manny and Kim together got the pitch count up from 73 to 88 at a key point in the game.

Way too small a sample size to draw any "walk rate" conclusions.

Of course, I was merely pointing out that I was in fact correct when I said he actually was walking more before moving to leadoff. I think it means very little in reality, just as I think his spot in the lineup matters very little.

For giggles, I looked at Jones' HR's since the move to the 1 hole.

As you would expect, most are solo, and the ones that aren't are driving in low OBP guys like Janish, Flaherty, etc.

Jones has hit 11 homers since moving to the leadoff spot -- 6 with bases empty, 5 with runners on. That's an absolutely normal ratio. In fact, of the 5 homers he hit previously, all while hitting in the 3-hole, only one came with runners on base.

Of course, I was merely pointing out that I was in fact correct when I said he actually was walking more before moving to leadoff. I think it means very little in reality, just as I think his spot in the lineup matters very little.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Jones has hit 11 homers since moving to the leadoff spot -- 6 with bases empty, 5 with runners on. That's an absolutely normal ratio. In fact, of the 5 homers he hit previously, all while hitting in the 3-hole, only one came with runners on base.

Exactly.

I know for a fact that The Orioles have had a great deal of interest in Kim for a trade. The Orioles don't want to move him.Boy, what a difference a few months makes.

Glad we didn't. At this point, we should be looking to extend him, not trade him! :)

When Jones began leading off, I thought he was seeing more pitches -- not drawing walks, but showing more patience. If that was true at first, it's not now.

I think it helps to have a leadoff hitter who can make the pitcher work and who has a chance to see, and let his teammates see, a lot of pitches in that first AB. Of course, you'd like a leadoff guy who gets on base a lot and has some speed so that the big hitters can drive him in, but that works as well from the #2 spot. I think Buck likes the R-L-R at the top of the order, but to me that's not a big deal.

I'd have Kim lead off against RHers whom we haven't seen and/or who have a wide variety of pitches.

If Kim could get enough PA to qualify, he could win the batting title. He's about 100 PA behind.

I haven't done the math but I don't see how he can "catch up" like they were talking about last night. He needs to make up 100PA on a 3.1 per game average,

So he would need a 100 games to do that right with 4 AB's a game? Or does that 3.1 go away at the end of the year and it changes to PA?

I haven't done the math but I don't see how he can "catch up" like they were talking about last night. He needs to make up 100PA on a 3.1 per game average,

So he would need a 100 games to do that right with 4 AB's a game? Or does that 3.1 go away at the end of the year and it changes to PA?

Needs 502 PA to qualify.

Archived