Bret Saberhagen, Twice (1985, 1989)

Roger Clemens (1987)

Doug Drabek (1990)

Greg Maddux (1993)

Pat Hentgen (1996)

Johan Santana (2004)

Felix Hernandez (2010)

Corey Kluber (2014)

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/mlb/the-cy-youngs-that-werent-all-stars.aspx

Have there ever been a more lackluster group of Cy Young awardees than Vuckovich, Hoyt, and Denny? Every time a Jack Morris HOF supporter says "best pitcher in the 80s" you just have point to the 1983 Cy Young award voting. I think I finished 11th based on pitching underhand with a plastic ball in my back yard to Jeff Wimmer.

Has anyone ever won the Cy Young without making the All-Star team?

Yes.

Don Newcombe (1956)

Mike McCormick (1967)

Mike Cuellar (1969)

Jim Palmer' date=' Twice (1973, 1976)

Gayolord Perry (1978)

Mike Flanagan (1979)

Pete Vuckovich (1982)

LaMarr Hoyt (1983)

John Denny (1983)

Rick Sutcliffe (1984)

Bret Saberhagen, Twice (1985, 1989)

Roger Clemens (1987)

Doug Drabek (1990)

Greg Maddux (1993)

Pat Hentgen (1996)

Johan Santana (2004)

Felix Hernandez (2010)

Corey Kluber (2014)

[url']http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/mlb/the-cy-youngs-that-werent-all-stars.aspx[/url]

Add Jake Arrieta (2015) to that list.

The article was written in August of 2015, prior to Arrieta winning the National League award.

Man it would be nice. No 20 game winners since 1984 is just ridiculous. It's almost as long as the triple crown drought. Time to end that streak...

Mussina was dang close, two 19 game seasons and two 18 game seasons.

5 man rotation has really made an impact on the number of 20 game winners in MLB.

I think I'd rather have a 20-game winner than a Cy Young winner, for the simple reason that wins reflect that the team won the games. So, if Tillman wins 20 games I will be very happy about it, regardless of what his other stats may say.

It's meaningful to me that not only is Tillman 12-2, but the team is 16-3 when he starts. That's a great ratio. The team is +13 when Tillman starts, +2 when it's anyone else.

I think I'd rather have a 20-game winner than a Cy Young winner, for the simple reason that wins reflect that the team won the games. So, if Tillman wins 20 games I will be very happy about it, regardless of what his other stats may say.

It's meaningful to me that not only is Tillman 12-2, but the team is 16-3 when he starts. That's a great ratio. The team is +13 when Tillman starts, +2 when it's anyone else.

I mean, if we are giving pitchers credit for things they don't control, we should just give the best pitcher on the team with the most wins win the Cy Young.

It should be noted, he won 19 in a 144-game season in 1995, and 16 in a 112-game season in 1994. He would have had a very good chance to win 20 in both those seasons but for the labor strike.

I mean, if we are giving pitchers credit for things they don't control, we should just give the best pitcher on the team with the most wins win the Cy Young.

I am not talking about giving pitchers credit for things they can't control. I'm talking about being happy that the team won games when he pitched. My ultimate goal is for the team to win as many games as possible. If he gets a lot of wins, that's good, whether or not he deserves all the credit.

I am not talking about giving pitchers credit for things they can't control. I'm talking about being happy that the team won games when he pitched. My ultimate goal is for the team to win as many games as possible. If he gets a lot of wins, that's good, whether or not he deserves all the credit.

Whoops. I actually misread your post. I'll use lack of coffee as an excuse. Carry on.

5 man rotation has really made an impact on the number of 20 game winners in MLB.

Mike Mussina averaged 30.8 starts per full season, and only once started as many as 36 games despite being healthy most of his career. His one 20 win season came in a 34-start year. Jim Palmer never won 20 in a season where he started fewer than 36 games. It's debatable if he would have ever won 20 with Mussina's usage pattern.

Edit: Mussina was credited with a win in 50.3% of his starts, Palmer in 50.2%.

Mike Mussina averaged 30.8 starts per full season, and only once started as many as 36 games despite being healthy most of his career. His one 20 win season came in a 34-start year. Jim Palmer never won 20 in a season where he started fewer than 36 games. It's debatable if he would have ever won 20 with Mussina's usage pattern.

Totally different era and you can't compare the two.

Actually, I think I am using your own words against ya. :):):)

Totally different era and you can't compare the two.

Actually, I think I am using your own words against ya. :):):)

Well... that's no fun.

I know this is too simplistic, but I think the trend towards lighter workloads has mainly just shifted innings from 26, 28-year-olds to 36-year-olds. Mussina was better longer, he was healthier, but maybe his teams win more pennants if he was starting five more games a year and broke down at 35 or 37.

It's illustrated by baseball's primordial years. Do you trade Hoss Radbourne's 600-inning, 59-win championship season for several Kid Nichols 33-win seasons, or a bunch of Cy Young 27-win seasons?

Well... that's no fun.

I know this is too simplistic, but I think the trend towards lighter workloads has mainly just shifted innings from 26, 28-year-olds to 36-year-olds. Mussina was better longer, he was healthier, but maybe his teams win more pennants if he was starting five more games a year and broke down at 35 or 37.

It's illustrated by baseball's primordial years. Do you trade Hoss Radbourne's 600-inning, 59-win championship season for several Kid Nichols 33-win seasons, or a bunch of Cy Young 27-win seasons?

Mussina also was known to pitch on 3 day rest, something that most SP today do (At least the Orioles).

I think the 96 & 97 teams of his, would have won WS, if they had the bullpen that this team has. They came darn close and to the ALCS both years.

Archived