Orioles.com has new top 30 prospects

wildcard

Two words. DRAFT SPOT. If he was a higher draft selection he would be a no doubter. Probably a high spot. In my mind the best player they got for the money in a few years.

Not sure I get the love affair with Mullins. Im going just off of stats so maybe there is something I am not seeing, but going just off of stats there are major red flags.

Not sure I get the love affair with Mullins. Im going just off of stats so maybe there is something I am not seeing, but going just off of stats there are major red flags.

To each his own. There are still some fans of Hart here. I just don't look at slash line. Doesn't tell the whole story. I learned that from Steve Springer. Look at contribution.

Runs: Top 5 player in the league

Hits: Top 10

Doubles: Top 5

Triples: Top in the league

HR: Top 20

TB: Top 5

SB: Top 10

Listening to the games the announcers rave about his defense.

When he gets the K/BB ratio in line it will show. And he's 21. Time will tell one way or another.

To each his own. There are still some fans of Hart here. I just don't look at slash line. Doesn't tell the whole story. I learned that from Steve Springer. Look at contribution.

Runs: Top 5 player in the league

Hits: Top 10

Doubles: Top 5

Triples: Top in the league

HR: Top 20

TB: Top 5

SB: Top 10

Listening to the games the announcers rave about his defense.

When he gets the K/BB ratio in line it will show. And he's 21. Time will tell one way or another.

Fair but its not like 21 is extremely young for Delmarva. His ops and k/b is pretty unremarkable. Id like to see it; you are right time will tell.

TheOtherRipken Fair but its not like 21 is extremely young for Delmarva. His ops and k/b is pretty unremarkable. Id like to see it; you are right time will tell.

Your view about OPS and k/b leads back to my original thought about draft spot weighing heavily in prospect rankings.

Mountcastle AB 604, OPS .738, XBH 46, BB 32, SO 132, Rank 6, Round 1

Stewart AB 606, OPS .714, XBH 49, BB 91, SO 146, Rank 12, Round 1

McKenna AB 217, OPS .671, XBH 13, BB 24, SO 53, Rank 28, Round 4

Mullins AB 732, OPS .732, XBH 73, BB 55, SO 125, Not ranked, Round 13

These are career numbers. Wanted to get guys drafted the same year and similar service times. Even if Mountcastle and Stewart had the same number of AB's mathematically they are in the 50's for XBH's and even with the additional AB's Mullins still has fewer K's. Daft position weighs heavilyon rankings.

TheOtherRipken Fair but its not like 21 is extremely young for Delmarva. His ops and k/b is pretty unremarkable. Id like to see it; you are right time will tell.

Your view about OPS and k/b leads back to my original thought about draft spot weighing heavily in prospect rankings.

Mountcastle AB 604, OPS .738, XBH 46, BB 32, SO 132, Rank 6, Round 1

Stewart AB 606, OPS .714, XBH 49, BB 91, SO 146, Rank 12, Round 1

McKenna AB 217, OPS .671, XBH 13, BB 24, SO 53, Rank 28, Round 4

Mullins AB 732, OPS .732, XBH 73, BB 55, SO 125, Not ranked, Round 13

These are career numbers. Wanted to get guys drafted the same year and similar service times. Even if Mountcastle and Stewart had the same number of AB's mathematically they are in the 50's for XBH's and even with the additional AB's Mullins still has fewer K's. Daft position weighs heavilyon rankings.

You should be aware that talent level weighs heavily on draft position. Therefore, it does make some sense that draft position should weigh heavily on rankings. This will not always be the case, but it is generally true.

You should be aware that talent level weighs heavily on draft position. Therefore, it does make some sense that draft position should weigh heavily on rankings. This will not always be the case, but it is generally true.

I don't disagree with that statement. However, I do think Mullins has the talent to go much higher then he did. Lack of exposure playing college ball at Campbell and his short stature (looked 5'7" at most when I saw him play) are what led to him lasting to the 13th round in my opinion. Kid's a great athlete though with plus speed and baserunning instincts and can plays above average defense in center too. We'll see how the bat develops but he has some sneaky pop for a guy his size and can get down the line fast and turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples. He reminds of Yaz a little offensively but contributes more value on the basepaths and on defense. So, I question how Yaz can crack a top 30 still but Mullins can't other than proximity to the big leagues I guess.

I don't disagree with that statement. However, I do think Mullins has the talent to go much higher then he did. Lack of exposure playing college ball at Campbell and his short stature (looked 5'7" at most when I saw him play) are what led to him lasting to the 13th round in my opinion. Kid's a great athlete though with plus speed and baserunning instincts and can plays above average defense in center too. We'll see how the bat develops but he has some sneaky pop for a guy his size and can get down the line fast and turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples. He reminds of Yaz a little offensively but contributes more value on the basepaths and on defense. So, I question how Yaz can crack a top 30 still but Mullins can't other than proximity to the big leagues I guess.

With the recent huge success of Altuve and Betts, players like Mullins are likely to get longer looks. As long as they have strong builds, lack of height isn't going to kill a player's chances of getting a shot.

If not for being a no. 1 overall draft pick, Stewart would be a fringe prospect as well. He's doing better at Frederick, but we are talking about 100 at bats.

If he starts putting up numbers in Double A next year there may be some hope for him.

The star on Walker has dimmed, but just two years ago he was considered one of our top five prospects and probably still solidly in the top ten a year ago. I think there is a better chance he hits at the major league level than Stewart ever does.

I wouldn't go by "AB's", I'd go by plate appearances. Stewart walks so much that it lowers is AB's. Especially given the SSS in Frederick.

The most important thing with Stewart is that he has a .980 OPS playing at home in Fred. When he was in Aberdeen and Delmarva it was like .500 OPS. I'm not familiar with the ballparks too much, maybe Fred. is a better hitters park?

I wouldn't go by "AB's", I'd go by plate appearances. Stewart walks so much that it lowers is AB's. Especially given the SSS in Frederick.

The most important thing with Stewart is that he has a .980 OPS playing at home in Fred. When he was in Aberdeen and Delmarva it was like .500 OPS. I'm not familiar with the ballparks too much, maybe Fred. is a better hitters park?

I think next season will be a make or break year for him. If he can't hack at age 23 in Double A he will pretty much be a failed prospect.

.391 slugging percentage is not going to cut it for a corner outfielder without a lot of other plus tools.

Time to put the big man on the O's top 30 prospects list - and watch him rise. 18 year old Seamus Curran is starting to crush the ball in the GCL. The last 2 games: 6 of 8 with 2 walks, 6 runs, 8 RBI's, 2 homers, 3 doubles. In just those 2 games, he raised his slugging percentage from .377 to .469.

Archived