Will the fans show?

Todd-O

No 24,000 something. At least tomorrow might go ver 30,000.Sunday probably not.They put the prices for Yankee fans and they really are not into this team. Oriole fans don't want to pay double to watch a young Yankee team.They used to get an extra 200,000 in Yankee and Red Sox fans a year but does not seem any more.Sort of catered to those fans when they were bad.

The costs just price the actual fans of Baltimore right on out. Only people that can afford it is fans from....New York.

The average fan who lives in Baltimore can't afford $300 to take a family of 4 to a baseball game. Ever.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The costs just price the actual fans of Baltimore right on out. Only people that can afford it is fans from....New York.

The average fan who lives in Baltimore can't afford $300 to take a family of 4 to a baseball game. Ever.

You mean you don't want to pay extra to see Chase Headley?

Mets have higher TV ratings than Yanks this year.

Thom Lover ro from the Washington Times wrote an article about Orioles attendance. I will try to post it tomorrow or you can look it up.Orioles always last to have season tickets ready in the majors.No innovative marketing strategy and seem behind the times of other teamsAlso Geppi ,minority owner was begging fans to come out on Facebook.

No 24,000 something. At least tomorrow might go ver 30,000.Sunday probably not.They put the prices for Yankee fans and they really are not into this team. Oriole fans don't want to pay double to watch a young Yankee team.They used to get an extra 200,000 in Yankee and Red Sox fans a year but does not seem any more.Sort of catered to those fans when they were bad.

My wife had to give a presentation at Columbia last year and I tagged along. On a whim, while on the way from LaGuardia to the hotel, we looked to see who the Yanks were playing (Mets were on the road). It was Boston. We got two tix pretty easily and the place was about a third full, if that. Was really surprising. Was probably the second to last game of the year.

I remember someone on here a long time ago telling me that Baltimore has always been a football town first, and that Memorial Stadium was often empty back in the good old days.

I didn't believe that when the Browns were stolen to Baltimore because the attendance never really took a hit...that time period overlapped with the bad streak of Orioles baseball so a low attendance wasn't out of the imagination. The fans have certainly come back in recent years but this season is a bit perplexing.

Coming from NoVA, I've been to only one game this summer where I usually go to three or four but I'll admit my lack of interest in getting up there is sheer laziness. I usually go to about 3 or 4 Nats games a season too because the stadium is less than 5 miles from my door and I haven't been to ANY.

I think we're living in a time where people would rather just watch on a TV. You can get a kick ass screen for not a lot of money and have all your own food and drinks for a fraction of the ballpark costs. I don't even go to football games anymore, it's too much of a pain in the ass. It's practically an all day event. At least with the TV I can go about my day after.

Camden Yards is an amazing place but, IMO, not much beats sitting inside with the AC and a 65 inch screen with high definition and Thorne and Palmer on the mic. Subtract a drive up to the stadium, a hassle of parking and it's a no brainer for me.

This, 100%. 70 inch big screen makes it hard to fork over money and time to go to baseball and football games. Even the NFL had to lift the blackout rule, and people preferring to stay at home to watch the game is the reason.

I remember someone on here a long time ago telling me that Baltimore has always been a football town first, and that Memorial Stadium was often empty back in the good old days.

I didn't believe that when the Browns were stolen to Baltimore because the attendance never really took a hit...that time period overlapped with the bad streak of Orioles baseball so a low attendance wasn't out of the imagination. The fans have certainly come back in recent years but this season is a bit perplexing.

Memorial Stadium was empty because Baltimore had the worst owner in the history of sports. Bob Irsay was a drunken idiot who at one time among many other things started calling the plays from the owners booth during a game. Memorial Stadium had about 35,000 passable football seats and people were not going to sit behind polls to watch a bad product. The Colts were "stolen" from Baltimore long before the Browns were stolen from Cleveland. Cleveland got an expansion team almost right away and got to keep their history.

Why would anyone pay extra to see the Yankees play. They were once like an all star team now they have no stars. I would rather pay more to see the Astros they have a ton more talent than the Yankees.

You

What about corporate dollars for Club boxes and sponsorships?

There's big money in NC for sponsors. SAS, Red Hat (they already sponsor an amphitheater in downtown Raleigh) several bank headquarters are here. Canes, Panthers and Hornets aren't lacking for them either.

This, 100%. 70 inch big screen makes it hard to fork over money and time to go to baseball and football games. Even the NFL had to lift the blackout rule, and people preferring to stay at home to watch the game is the reason.

I like sitting outside drinking a beer. Baseball is better in person. Football is better on TV.

Charlotte biggest problem may be they just built a new minor league park.

True. I edited my long post about what parks have been built in recent years (Greensboro, Winston-Salem) to add Charlotte.

I suppose what would fly in NC is a team with a regional draw (and name), "The Carolina Something or Anothers" and not specifically in one of the major cities. Somewhere near High Point or south of The Triangle Area (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill). I know before Winston-Salem was being courted as a Twins relocation a decade ago and it went to either a civic or city council vote (before their new stadium was approved), some of this was bandied around. I'd have loved the Twins there. They could have kept the name, logo and hat as Winston-Salem is a twin city as well.

Archived