Will the fans show?

Todd-O

I'm going tonight but I kind of don't even want to. And that's been kind of the vibe all season. There's just something missing from this team. Rickard was fun while he lasted, but even with the home runs and Zach's streak, this team just lacks some magic or buzz. I like our guys, but... there's something missing. Probably pitching.

That buzz to me is on the franchise to create. I know this topic has been beat to death a million times but the franchise needs to look in the mirror here. They knew full well tickets weren't selling vs the Jays and Red Sox and they do absolutely nothing, nothing. I mean why not make an effort to get as many fans in the park as possible? Were they afraid because it would look bad that they had to do that in order to sell more tickets? Did they not want to admit they made pricing mistakes?

There is a job of the organization to promote the team, I just don't see it. In 2012 and 2014 they promoted the team much better and those teams were peaking at the end of the year, this team peaked at the end of June. It feels like they have been trying to hold on. Every season is different but the franchise needs a wake up call.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baseball is a very slowly dying sport. The Youth isn't playing it like they did years ago and they don't attend it like they did in past decades.

IMO

Maybe I sound like an old man, I'm only 41! but the younger generation looks at the world different as well. Everything is instantaneous. The options they had from when I was growing up is night and day. I don't think there is the same loyalty as years ago. Early 90's there was no internet, no cell phones not everyone had satellite or cable. I probably am not explaining myself as well as I would like but I think the Orioles and baseball in general is just another entertainment option to them, they can move onto to something else the second they feel like it.

I'm going tonight but I kind of don't even want to. And that's been kind of the vibe all season. There's just something missing from this team. Rickard was fun while he lasted, but even with the home runs and Zach's streak, this team just lacks some magic or buzz. I like our guys, but... there's something missing. Probably pitching.

The offense is about league average, as is the pitching overall. The starting pitching and defense are well below average, with some overlap occurring. Really, they just aren't that good.

Baseball is a very slowly dying sport. The Youth isn't playing it like they did years ago and they don't attend it like they did in past decades.

IMO

Could be something as simple as population changes. Looking at Maryland Births they peaked in the 1988 to 1992 years. With the highest being 1990. Those people are no longer in their early 20's they are getting married and having kids themselves. I Know the people I used to go to games with have all gotten married and most have kids now. They don't go to games too much.

Not everybody uses trains or Uber, the traffic is a nightmare, but, its congested by sure volume.

Well, in cities like NYC or SF, most of the cars that are on the roads are Uber/Lyft drivers, cabs, delivery trucks?or idiots who don?t realize that you can get somewhere a lot faster by taking the subway in a city like that. In a city of 14 million people in that small of an area, it doesn?t take many drivers on the road to create bumper to bumper traffic.

Could be something as simple as population changes. Looking at Maryland Births they peaked in the 1988 to 1992 years. With the highest being 1990. Those people are no longer in their early 20's they are getting married and having kids themselves. I Know the people I used to go to games with have all gotten married and most have kids now. They don't go to games too much.

When they grew up the Orioles were awful as well. That doesn't help.

Wait, so when you kids you have more responsibilities and soccer practice to drive the kids to and more bills to pay? That doesn't fit into the propaganda that people have been spewing that only families can ever attend games.

IMO

Most forms of entertainment are now niches. At least compared to 50-100 years ago when there was far less access to so many things we take for granted today. Today there's not a heck of a lot of difference between being a fan of a European soccer team living in Altoona and being a fan of the Phillies in Altoona. You can watch almost all the games you want, you can access unbelievable amount of information online, participate in forums with other fans. That naturally leads a lot of people who might have devoted time and money to the Orioles in 1985 to divert resources to the Braves or Tottenham Hotspur or the OKC NBA team today.

But... that doesn't necessarily mean MLB is dying. It's that it's different. You used to have 50% of 100M Americans as baseball fans. But now you have 20% of 300M Americans plus all kinds of foreign fans... (All numbers made up). Different isn't dead or dying.

Most forms of entertainment are now niches. At least compared to 50-100 years ago when there was far less access to so many things we take for granted today. Today there's not a heck of a lot of difference between being a fan of a European soccer team living in Altoona and being a fan of the Phillies in Altoona. You can watch almost all the games you want, you can access unbelievable amount of information online, participate in forums with other fans. That naturally leads a lot of people who might have devoted time and money to the Orioles in 1985 to divert resources to the Braves or Tottenham Hotspur or the OKC NBA team today.

But... that doesn't necessarily mean MLB is dying. It's that it's different. You used to have 50% of 100M Americans as baseball fans. But now you have 20% of 300M Americans plus all kinds of foreign fans... (All numbers made up). Different isn't dead or dying.

It probably depends on where you're living and who you hang out with too. If you don't live in a baseball city you might be surprised that the old thing is still around. If you live in a baseball city like NY, Boston, Atlanta, or Chicago, you'll still think its a religion.

Wait, so when you kids you have more responsibilities and soccer practice to drive the kids to and more bills to pay? That doesn't fit into the propaganda that people have been spewing that only families can ever attend games.

When you have a toddler or baby that is different than having a school age child.

Maybe it's the economy. You can watch the game on HDTV, for basically free. Cost alot for a family to go to the game for many families. Not to mention the hassle of travel and parking.

Ive been saying that for years. There is only so much disposable money left in the monthly budget for entertainment, and taking a family of 4 to a ball game is not cheap, its doable, but not to the intent that some believe some should be doing.

Ive been saying that for years. There is only so much disposable money left in the monthly budget for entertainment, and taking a family of 4 to a ball game is not cheap, its doable, but not to the intent that some believe some should be doing.

Maryland has the highest median income in the country. People have the money. Especially baseball fans.

Archived