Why wasn't Mike Wright called up on Sept 1?

Rojo13

Look I know that Wright wasn't good at the major league level this year but he is 26, throws in the high 90s and had a 3.15 ERA in AAA.

Many think he ultimately might be a great bullpen arm if he can't figure it out as a starter.

It seems to me he would be an obvious call up. He was up here just last week.

Why isn't he here? Since we optioned him on August 27, was he ineligible for a callup or did they just not want him?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect he's going to start one of their final three games and then will be recalled. Although Buck doesn't like a crowd so no guarantee. I have the impression that the O's want Wright to do or work on certain things and he hasn't always followed the plan. Just an impression from Buck's comments, etc.

I suspect he's going to start one of their final three games and then will be recalled. Although Buck doesn't like a crowd so no guarantee. I have the impression that the O's want Wright to do or work on certain things and he hasn't always followed the plan. Just an impression from Buck's comments, etc.

This is possible too. He could get sent to instructional league to stay sharp.

Can't say I care much if they bring him back. I'm more interested in adding to short relief. I'd rather see three guys do a decent job for one inning each than see Wright do a lousy one for three innings.

I'd like to see them concert Wright into a 1 inning RP, but now is not the time.

There is zero chance he would be used in the postseason in any situation. No need to bring him up.

Of course there's a chance. I mean, Lew Ford got 8 AB in the playoffs. Stuff happens.

Also, the reason to call him up is to give you garbage innings this month, so we don't have to use key guys unnecessarily.

Of course there's a chance. I mean, Lew Ford got 8 AB in the playoffs. Stuff happens.

Also, the reason to call him up is to give you garbage innings this month, so we don't have to use key guys unnecessarily.

We can still call him up this month. The only reason to call him up before Sept 1 is to get him playoff eligible.

Archived