Why wasn't Mike Wright called up on Sept 1?

Rojo13

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go ahead everyone, and compare Wrights stats this year to Ubaldo. :scratchchinhmm:

By the time Jiminez was Wrights age he had 17 WAR. Wright is at - 0.6 for his career. If it weren't for his high salary contract Jimine would be gone. If Wright wasn't making next to nothing and didn't have options he would be gone.

No...compare their stats for THIS YEAR. We ain't talkin about history here.

I've compared them, and....they are both bad at pitching.

Ideally, neither would be on the roster. But one of them has an untradable contract and the other has minor league options.

Oh the negativity. Like the poster said earlier, it hasn't been 10 days since he was optioned down and he has to wait for Norfolk's season to be over. It's over today.

Plus you have to keep some pitchers stretched out instead of injury. Wright is starting in the season finale for the tides today. He'll be up shortly after today.

You guys have him buried when in reality he'd be in the discussion to get a start if one of the pitchers were to get hurt or if there was a double header situation.

Realistically the guy was terrible this year. But how often do we have pitchers post a 3.12 ERA in AAA and 2.22 ERA in back to back seasons. Miley, Ubaldo, and Gallardo couldn't do that in AAA this year. lol. He still has to learn to pitch at the big league level and we haven't seen him in his projected role yet of short relief. With the lack of depth in the upper minors, the options Wright has, we're probably going to see him spot start for us over the next two seasons. Let's just hope he figures it out.

o

15 OUTS: 6 Groundout, 4 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineout

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT oo (vs. AAA-Durham, 9/05)

IP:l 5

H:;; 3 l(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 1 Single)

R:l) 1

BB:)0

SO:)2

Pitches: 52 (36 Strikes, 16 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.07 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 3 Balls)

o

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT oo (vs. AAA-Durham, 9/05)

IP:l 5

Pitches: 52 (36 Strikes, 16 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 3 Balls)

81 (51 Strikes, 3 Balls)

Wright was pulled from the game after only 52 pitches. ) :scratchchinhmm:

Wright was pulled from the game after only 52 pitches. ) :scratchchinhmm:

Wright has proved he can get AAA batters out. It's major league hitters he has trouble with. The discrepancy between his AAA and major league performance shouldn't be so large.

Thanks, Frank.

Chris Tillman did have a lot of success at the AAA level while simultaneously struggling badly at the Major League level for 3 out of 4 seasons in 2009, 2010, and 2012 before he finally broke through in the Majors for good in July of 2012, but that may be somewhat uncommon (off the top of my head, I don't know.)

Thanks, Frank.

Chris Tillman did have a lot of success at the AAA level while simultaneously struggling badly at the Major League level for 3 out of 4 seasons in 2009, 2010, and 2012 before he finally broke through in the Majors for good in July of 2012, but that may be somewhat uncommon (off the top of my head, I don't know.)

It happens a lot. Sometimes it's just a case of a pitcher thinking he has to be perfect to beat major league batters, instead of doing what made him successful in the minors. Other times, it's the opposite problem -- they try to do something that worked well in the minors but which won't work in the majors. I have found it almost impossible to predict whose success will translate to the majors, and exactly how long it will take. I don't have a good feeling about Wright, but I can't say that I really know if he will succeed or not.

Look I know that Wright wasn't good at the major league level this year but he is 26, throws in the high 90s and had a 3.15 ERA in AAA.

Many think he ultimately might be a great bullpen arm if he can't figure it out as a starter.

It seems to me he would be an obvious call up. He was up here just last week.

Why isn't he here? Since we optioned him on August 27, was he ineligible for a callup or did they just not want him?

I think Mike's biggest issues are upstairs, till he learns HOW TO PITCH he'll just be another hard thrower.

Archived