worst O's 1st round draft pick ever?

There are so many to choose from! We have the almost reached the big leagues- Keith Reed, the reached the big leagues aided by steroids and then couldn't hit a lick- Larry Bigbie, and the never came close to the bigs: Stahl, Paradis, Shepard. (Snyder is in grave danger of making this list unless he figures out how to start hitting again).

But I think, hands down, bar none, the worst draft pick ever (by the O's or any Big league team) is.....drumroll please.....

Chris Smith! Who pitched a total of 4 innings in the lowest level of the minors and then vanished into the wind with his 2 million dollar signing bonus!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wade Townsend. Not only did the :cussing:head go back to Rice, we missed out on Jered Weaver, Phil Hughes, Chris Nelson, etc., because of him.

Or should I say because of Angelos' meddling. Thank goodness MacPhail is running the show now!

There are so many to choose from! We have the almost reached the big leagues- Keith Reed, the reached the big leagues aided by steroids and then couldn't hit a lick- Larry Bigbie, and the never came close to the bigs: Stahl, Paradis, Shepard. (Snyder is in grave danger of making this list unless he figures out how to start hitting again).

But I think, hands down, bar none, the worst draft pick ever (by the O's or any Big league team) is.....drumroll please.....

Chris Smith! Who pitched a total of 4 innings in the lowest level of the minors and then vanished into the wind with his 2 million dollar signing bonus!

I definitely agree with you on Snyder. I don't think he will ever hit for enough power for a first baseman.

I definitely agree with you on Snyder. I don't think he will ever hit for enough power for a first baseman.

Did I read that his arm is shot too? Is that why he's no longer catching?

After reading some of the Posey threads, I got to thinking that maybe backup Catcher could be Snyder's niche moving forward. Not if he has a dead arm though.

What about Mark Smith (I believe I have his name right)? Wasn't he supposed to be a power hitting outfielder who was also drafted in the first round and couldn't hit a lick? What I would really love to see is a list of players drafted by other teams in the same drafts that were picked after the Orioles whom they should have picked, that became top notch big leaguers. Although it would no doubt sicken me, it would also prove how inept the Orioles scouting and drafting departments were for so many years which to me is simply inexcusable!

How about Alvie Sheppard. He never was much of anything either. :D

It almost seemed like they were trying to draft bad players, as the law of averages would seem to dictate more success simply by throwing darts at the top ranked players and picking!:eek: What I cannot fathom is why this Demarco who was in charge of player drafting and development wasn't canned long, long, before it actually occurred. He had to be one of the worst ever in drafting players!:(

What about Mark Smith (I believe I have his name right)? Wasn't he supposed to be a power hitting outfielder who was also drafted in the first round and couldn't hit a lick? What I would really love to see is a list of players drafted by other teams in the same drafts that were picked after the Orioles whom they should have picked, that became top notch big leaguers. Although it would no doubt sicken me, it would also prove how inept the Orioles scouting and drafting departments were for so many years which to me is simply inexcusable!

Go to Wikipedia and type in i.e. 2005 MLB Draft. It gives a list of all first round picks.

I agree with RZNJ, its hard to pick someone who was only terrible because of injuries. Smith was certainly a reach at #7, but he should've been a decent palyer. The guys that were complete flops despite being in good health are the real candidates here.

Plus, if Smith wasn't the guy chosen instead of Teixeira, nobody would remember his name.

http://thebaseballcube.com/draft/index.shtml

You're on your own in determining who became a "top notch big league player".

But if you want to feel sick, simply check out 1999.

The Os had 7 (!) picks in the first round and managed not to pick Carl Crawford or John Lackey (among others) who both went in the second round (in fairness, obviously many other teams past on these two as well).

They also passed on Alex Rios twice in the first round.

Justin Morneau and Hank Blalock went in the 3rd round.

http://thebaseballcube.com/draft/index.shtml

You're on your own in determining who became a "top notch big league player".

But if you want to feel sick, simply check out 1999.

The Os had 7 (!) picks in the first round and managed not to pick Carl Crawford or John Lackey (among others) who both went in the second round (in fairness, obviously many other teams past on these two as well).

They also passed on Alex Rios twice in the first round.

Justin Morneau and Hank Blalock went in the 3rd round.

To be fair, all the other teams missed out on Erik Bedard, as he lasted until the 5th round.

Wade Townsend. Not only did the :cussing:head go back to Rice, we missed out on Jered Weaver, Phil Hughes, Chris Nelson, etc., because of him.

Or should I say because of Angelos' meddling. Thank goodness MacPhail is running the show now!

Apparently we would have had Chris Nelson otherwise. The Rockies pitcked him right after us. He's noted as a 4-star prospect. He just started AA in his 5th season though.

Archived