I'm Just Amazed At How Boston And Toronto Can Impose Their Will On The Orioles So Easily.

ORIOLE33

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in case I am named O's manager tonight, here's the lineup for tomorrow's must-win game vs. the lefty Liriano:

Hardy SS

Bourn LF

Machado 3B

Trumbo RF

Mancini DH

Jones CF

Wieters C

Davis 1B

Schoop 2B

I don't want to play Schoop, but I have no choice against the LHer.

As soon as a RHer comes in, Kim is in the game.

Liriano gets a lot of K's, so we'll see plenty of that. I can't do anything about that. He also walks a fair amount, and I can't have Jones lead off vs. a guy like that. I've almost talked myself into starting Kim and Flaherty, but not quite.

Just in case I am named O's manager tonight, here's the lineup for tomorrow's must-win game vs. the lefty Liriano:

Hardy SS

Bourn LF

Machado 3B

Trumbo RF

Mancini DH

Jones CF

Wieters C

Davis 1B

Schoop 2B

I don't want to play Schoop, but I have no choice against the LHer.

As soon as a RHer comes in, Kim is in the game.

Liriano gets a lot of K's, so we'll see plenty of that. I can't do anything about that. He also walks a fair amount, and I can't have Jones lead off vs. a guy like that. I've almost talked myself into starting Kim and Flaherty, but not quite.

Lineup makes sense. I'd put Kim in anyway. Too important for him to miss back to back games. Should have been in the lineup tonight.

Jones has had games like this before. Tonight's performance stings more because of the importance of this game.

I've said this before but young Red Sox hitters have veterans like David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia to look up to while the Orioles have veteran players like Adam Jones who constantly have terrible at-bats and swing at bad pitches out of the zone. Who do you think are better examples for a young hitter to look up to? Don't you think young hitters like Mookie Betts and Xander Boegarts and Jackie Bradley Jr. might have picked up a thing or two from watching Dustin Pedroia every day who constantly grinds out at-bats by fouling off tough pitches and making opposing pitchers work hard to get him out? Hell, I remember Chris Davis saying he learned so much from being around Jim Thome for a couple months and some of the tips he picked up from Thome played a significant role in him having such a great season in 2013. The Orioles just don't have many smart veteran hitters on this team. Well, they have one but Buck seems set on gluing his butt to the bench.

I've said this before but young Red Sox hitters have veterans like David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia to look up to while the Orioles have veteran players like Adam Jones who constantly have terrible at-bats and swing at bad pitches out of the zone. Who do you think are better examples for a young hitter to look up to? Don't you think young hitters like Mookie Betts and Xander Boegarts and Jackie Bradley Jr. might have picked up a thing or two from watching Dustin Pedroia every day who constantly grinds out at-bats by fouling off tough pitches and making opposing pitchers work hard to get him out? Hell, I remember Chris Davis saying he learned so much from being around Jim Thome for a couple months and some of the tips he picked up from Thome played a significant role in him having such a great season in 2013. The Orioles just don't have many smart veteran hitters on this team. Well, they have one but Buck seems set on gluing his butt to the bench.

Well said.

I agree. Look at the Ravens when they had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed leading the defense. Many a defensive player who left the Ravens for free agency, suddenly looked a lot more mediocre on their new team.

We also seem to face the Blue Jays best pitchers.

Their entire rotation is nails (or comparatively nails), man.

Sanchez: 3.12 ERA vs. Gausman 3.57 ERA

Happ: 3.20 ERA vs. Tillman 3.84 ERA

Liriano: 3.35 ERA vs. Bundy 4.02 ERA

Estrada: 3.53 ERA vs. Gallardo 5.63 ERA

Stroman: 4.34 ERA vs. Jimenez 5.71 ERA

Dickey: 4.46 ERA vs. Miley 6.38 ERA

I listen to half hour on the radio at lunch. Stats Hunter tonight said the Jays starters have a 3.7 ERA for the year. They're all good.

One of the biggest surprises of the season. I had Stroman competing for the CYA and he's fighting w/ Dickey as the worst starter on the team. I ridiculed the J.A. Happ signing and I wasn't alone. For all the big names in their lineup, their pitching is what has them in playoff contention, not their hitting.

With the sweep, the Red Sox had the Orioles 11- 8

What's happening now when it really matters? They have played 5 HUGE games against Boston and Toronto over the past week. They're 0-5.

And when I said that those teams easily impose their will on the O's, what I mean is, before a blink of an eye, we're down 2-0 in most games. When we cut into any deficit, our starter immediately give it right back. We rarely have 1,2,3 innings and a lot of the games feel uncompetitive. We seem to be playing catchup every game.

I'm increasingly interested in Adam Jones' "leadership." He says some stuff that makes me wonder. He openly advocates for an "aggressive" approach at the plate - not a smart approach. And it sounds like he's proud of his stubbornness in that regard - even laughing about it with an interview he did with Dandy Jim Hunter yesterday. A case of the inmates running the asylum?

Archived