Buck Stuff

ChuckS

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not at all in the Fire Buck camp but not only was that the worst decision I've ever seen by an Orioles manager, I basically can't imagine seeing a worse one. But then again, I previously wouldn't have imagined our usually wise manager not using the best pitcher in the league in an extra inning tied elimination game.

Since I've been here at the OH for nearly 15 years, I think the most common criticism over that time has been bullpen management by our managers. It is not an easy thing to do.

I don't think Buck manages by the save rule - which is a poor thing for the writer to hang around Buck's neck. I guess he is thinking he needs Britton to close it out when we get a lead and that's that. But Buck doesn't know if we are going to take a lead that is one, two, three, four or five runs.

End of day, however, I don't like going home in a one game playoff situation that went extra innings without having put our best pitcher in the game. I think the criticism of Buck for not getting Britton into the game is valid - especially against the heart of the Toronto lineup.

Not in the Fire Buck camp at all. He was given a team with two decent SPs for two-thirds of the season and got them into the post-season. This was a poor decision by Buck IMO, but even if ZB goes two scoreless, we still might have lost.

I am most upset with Buck for starting Norris over Chen in the playoff game against Detroit a few years ago. Chen has been a better pitcher than Norris pretty much every day of his life.

The same Edwin who hasn't had a hit off Ubaldo. The same Ubaldo who had a whip under 0.8 in the second half. Yes.

Secondly, don't complain about spending on playoff tickets, you'll get a refund. Lighten up fellas, its baseball. February will be here soon and I guarantee this team will come to compete.

If by under .8 you mean over 1 than yeah, him. Britton's whip for the season was .836

After thinking over things, the more questionable move might even be bringing in Ubaldo over Bundy.

As we all know, Buck is big on sample sizes and past experiences. From what I remember, Ubaldo had terrible outings out of the BP and he's knowingly terrible in the first inning or two. Then you have Bundy who has had a good amount of experience pitching from the BP and did it pretty damn well for us before entering the rotation.

Ubie is not a bp guy. That was bucks mistake. Our bats didn't give Britton the chance to pitch. Very simple.

I think the inability of our star hitters to play small ball had us doomed in the post season anyway.

I am thinking to myself just imagine if that was Buck's last ever postseason game. That is an awful way to go out managing your last postseason game. A game that will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

I don't recall in 2012 or 2014 Buck making any odd decisions off the top of my head. I still am baffled by what happened.

Ubaldo in his career has 8 games pitched in relief. The 5 games this year were mop up. No reason not to use Britton but if you aren't-and he should have-how can you use Ubaldo? We carry Mancini and then don't hit him for Kim. What in the world has Reimold done to deserve that opportunity?

Buck does not need to go anywhere, but back to Baltimore dugout. He is the main reason we have made it to the playoffs three of the last five years. Did he screw up tonight? Yes he did. Ubaldo has never been good as a reliever, but has been great starting the second half of this season. He should have started-mistake one. Reimold should have never seen the field-mistake two. Britton should have pitched at some point tonight-mistake three. Bad, bad night, but it does not over-ride all the good he's done. Also, the offense is the reason we lost tonight, not Buck. When spring training starts, Davis must be told if he can't bunt against the shift, he's not starting. Jones must be thrown low and away breaking stuff all spring long, until he can learn to lay off it. 10 pushups for everyone he misses. Besides, who else do you trust to manage this team if Buck was going tomorrow?

You know, searching through that Ubaldo vs. Tillman thread, there were a lot of votes for Ubaldo to start this game.

This one is a hard one to swallow but people bashing Buck and pretending they can manage better are deluding themselves.

Starting the game and coming in in relief aren't the same thing. Yes, he should have started the game and no he shouldn't have been in there in that position. You don:t have to bash the manager, he bash's himself.

And no it wasn't the worst decision a manager ever made. That goes to Frank Robinson in '89. But the both lost the game and ended the season. But Frank Robinson's was worse. He took a team that Fate picked to win and managed so they lost. But they both suffered from the same disease, they thought they were smart and that the buttons they were pushing were responsible for the team winning. Both were hugely mistaken. Both were disillusioned.

Because they were going to score sometime soon? 5 straight innings without a hit. I don't even remember when they last hit the ball hard. Umpire completely calling a one sided game. I'm glad Ubaldo put an end to that mess.

Side note, I'm done with MLB this year. Can't convince me that a minor fix job by them wasn't in the works. The more Tillman got in trouble the more he was squeezed. In the few at bats where we worked the count, the Jays were always bailed out by a horrible call. It was shameful what happened and I'm done with it. They got the match up they wanted and were pretty blatant they wanted it.

Archived