Would you rather have lost 10-1?

Frobby

Hearing about Toronto's 10-1 rout of Texas got me to thinking: in the WC game, would you rather have been blown out with no real controversy rather than losing in 11 innings with your manager making a highly criticized decision that may have cost the game?

For me, give me the game we had. But I wouldn't be surprised if others feel differently.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hearing about Toronto's 10-1 rout of Texas got me to thinking: in the WC game, would you rather have been blown out with no real controversy rather than losing in 11 innings with your manager making a highly criticized decision that may have cost the game?

For me, give me the game we had. But I wouldn't be surprised if others feel differently.

I'd have rather had our game and hit a solo home run in the 9th or 10th.

Normally I would rather have lost 10-1, but I actually preferred how it played out to getting blown out. It was exciting to watch and I enjoyed watching us make some nice defensive double plays (which had real meaning at the time). I also really liked watching our relievers come through in big spots.

The Britton controversy made for good discussion afterwards, but I was convinced we were never going to get another baserunner no matter who pitched for us - so for me the game was lost by the offense.

I got 3 hours of heart pounding enjoyment out of the way we lost. Yes, the end was putrid - but at least I got to enjoy most of a playoff game. Unless we lost 10-1 with the 10 being scored in the 8th - I wouldn't get the same out of a rout. Settling in for a playoff game with a couple cold beer and it's 7-0 after the 1st inning is the worst. Basically zero enjoyment - 3 hours of stewing anger. Give me the way it down - suck though it did.

I'd rather be in the ballgame thank you.

I'll take the close game.

What's odd is that for as many people who talk about Britton, another play stands out to me. If Bourn makes that catch of Pillar's fly to right in the 5th (which he just plain whiffed), the Jays probably don't score and we would have won the game 2-1. Bourn made a couple really nice plays in the game aside from this, but that one miscue really hurt us.

I said this very thing to my wife before the game started. I didn't want to lose in a walk off. To Donaldson, Encarnacion, or Bautista. They just make my blood boil.

And the way this went down was even worse. Now we have to sit and listen to every armchair jerk pseudo baseball genius talk about what a huge blunder Buck's decision was. His hands were tied, and our hitters were the ones that tightened the knot.

What's odd is that for as many people who talk about Britton, another play stands out to me. If Bourn makes that catch of Pillar's fly to right in the 5th (which he just plain whiffed), the Jays probably don't score and we would have won the game 2-1. Bourn made a couple really nice plays in the game aside from this, but that one miscue really hurt us.

Davis not getting to that ground ball inside the line, also hurt.

He normally makes that play. Im guessing coaches had his too far to his right.

This question is a bit unfair. The 10-1 game was the first of a 5 game series not a one game wild card game. We have yet to see something as lopsided as a 10-1 result in a WC game because it's managed so differently with the exception of one game. Every WC game has been decided by 4 runs or less except the 2014 Pirates/ Giants game. That game was 8-0 and was not managed as a close game due to the utter dominance by Baumgartner. The pirates gave up 5 runs and the other 3 were really just mop up duty. The Pirates knew they were beat. So while I wounderstand agree that I would rather the close games the blowout isn't too much of a real world scenario in a WC game.

Funny and good question. I would say no. I would rather have lost in a titanic pitching duel, which is how we lost.

Further proof that Buck should be applauded for getting his rotation into the 11th inning giving up only two runs. Not to reopen that can of worms.

Great point! I forgot about the Bourn miscue. That was really odd - he literally just held his glove a foot to the wrong side of the ball. Must have taken his eye off the ball for a split second looking at the wall or something.

That said, Bourn probably saves runs by not being Trumbo out there, on multiple occasions. :)

Archived