Disheartening quote from Duquette in this article

miggyfan

Why is that? If the argument was made that 2016 was within the "competitive window" and therefore worth a budget increase, then the same could be said for 2017. Expiring contracts and arb increases for 2017 were predictable to a reasonable accuracy as was the closing of the competitive window in 2018. It strikes me as inconsistent to gamble on 2016 but not 2017 when the team is fundamentally the same.

Lower attendance after a substantial investment and another playoff run and achievement.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles have nine players that are free agents.

Pedro Alvarez-Mancini can replace him

Michael Bourn-possible 4th or 5th OF resign if reasonable

Brian Duensing-No

Tommy Hunter-No

Steve Pearce-No

Nolan Reimold-No

Drew Stubbs-No

Mark Trumbo-No' date=' QO

Matt Wieters-No, QO, but the hardest one.

With these guys gone, what is our 2017 payroll looking like, before arbitration?[/quote']

I think we keep Pearce and Duensing, and maybe keep Matt Wieters. Doubt we do due to the market, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

I expect much less.

I'm not sure. Ticket prices were up 15-20%, attendance was down 6-7%, so that means ticket revenues were up by a modest amount. They also got a chunk of the wild card game revenue. Local TV revenue appears likely to have increased (or will increase next year) due to better ratings (even though cable fees were presumably flat). I don't know the structure of the national TV contract, but it may increase year by year. And MLBAM revenue is always increasing. So, overall, revenue should be up, though I cannot say by how much.

I'm not sure. Ticket prices were up 15-20%, attendance was down 6-7%, so that means ticket revenues were up by a modest amount. They also got a chunk of the wild card game revenue. Local TV revenue appears likely to have increased (or will increase next year) due to better ratings (even though cable fees were presumably flat). I don't know the structure of the national TV contract, but it may increase year by year. And MLBAM revenue is always increasing. So, overall, revenue should be up, though I cannot say by how much.

So you think a 160 million payroll? I don't.

I'm with Corn on this. Just from the eye test alone, watching 150-some games, I don't think Jones was as good in CF this year as in previous years.

The defensive stats, which I always am very cautious about putting a lot of stock in, back that up.

I saw more balls over his head this year. I saw fewer "gems" from him this year.

I think Jones was noticeably a half-step slower this year, both in the field and on the bases. In the field, a number of balls got over his head that he would have tracked down in the past. At bat, I really noticed that there were a number of ground balls he hit where in past years he would have beat them out, or made them very close, and this year he was out by half a step. I'd say he still has above average speed for a baseball player, but not for a CF. He's a very graceful player who looks good making catches out there, but he doesn't seem to cover quite as much ground as he used to.

Was pitching even a real problem this year? Yes it was awful in the first half, but we were in first place. It was after June the offense fell apart and was horrendous. We were under .500 since the end of June and that was due to the offense. How did the pitching rank after the break?

Lower attendance after a substantial investment and another playoff run and achievement.

My point, which I didn't make clear in my first post, was that it should have been understood at the time that the 2016 payroll increase was OK'd that it would hold true for 2017 as well because the situation would be fundamentally the same. In other words the 2017 payroll would have been agreed to in principle a year earlier than usual.

Do you think the O's increase cable fees to the fans this off season?

My point, which I didn't make clear in my first post, was that it should have been understood at the time that the 2016 payroll increase was OK'd that it would hold true for 2017 as well because the situation would be fundamentally the same. In other words the 2017 payroll would have been agreed to in principle a year earlier than usual.

That wasn't true last off season. Dan added Miley at the deadline for almost 9M next year. That reduced the off season payroll flexibility.

Good point though I don't pretend to know what the O's can and can't do with cable fees during litigation.

Good point. Whatever they would have to do, it would need to be done unilaterally. And hopefully, MLB does not need to approve anything for changes to be made...

Archived