Projected Orioles Opening Day Payroll 2017

AZRon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its your chart to do what you want but Cots Contract did about what I thought they would do and added the 2m to the O's payroll.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13J2w3Ki1TYPWKu4i2Ua1IaFAnEvvZCX1ud7buB8MBNw/pubhtml

46 minutes ago, weams said:

Ok.  Good take.

I guess depending on who you hear it from. I have no problem with someone wanting to add two million to the accounting of the 2017 MLB payroll. I would however wish to see how MLB would account for it from Luxury Tax prospective. It may be important soon. 

OK -- here's the salient language from the CBA regarding the Competitive Balance Tax:
(iii) Cash Consideration: An assignor Club that pays cash
consideration in lieu of assigning an unnamed player or to defray
all or part of the salary obligation of the assignee Club for an
assigned Player shall include such cash consideration in its Actual Club Payroll in the Contract Year in which the cash consideration is paid;.....

I'll adjust my charts accordingly -- thanks

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:
10 minutes ago, AZRon said:

OK -- here's the salient language from the CBA regarding the Competitive Balance Tax:
(iii) Cash Consideration: An assignor Club that pays cash
consideration in lieu of assigning an unnamed player or to defray
all or part of the salary obligation of the assignee Club for an
assigned Player shall include such cash consideration in its Actual Club Payroll in the Contract Year in which the cash consideration is paid;.....

I'll adjust my charts accordingly -- thanks

Good info. Is that from the current CBA? Either way, It does appear that Wildcard was adjusting correctly. 

19 minutes ago, weams said:

Actually not. 

You should read the CBA in regards to deferred money, and the "funding requirements" that get mentioned by people here trying to artificially boost up the payroll. Hint: It doesn't have to be with cash, which is why there are "deferred" contracts in the first place. Because it would kind of defeat the purpose if the actual cash had to be kicked out now, but it doesn't. 

19 minutes ago, weams said:

So O's are at 

17 hours ago, weams said:

Actually, 155. Maybe another 4 or 5 million. 

I can see the Orioles going over that, but not on a long-term deal. I think we see the O's address the remaining hole with a one year deal over that amount and/or a trade for a player in his final year or two of his deal. 

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Are they top 10 in salary now?

and if so there floor of success should be WC (top 10 team)

Payroll aside the way this team is constructed they need to make the playoffs for the season to be a success.

They have given up too much long term to have not having a losing record be the milestone of choice.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Payroll aside the way this team is constructed they need to make the playoffs for the season to be a success.

They have given up too much long term to have not having a losing record be the milestone of choice.

Indeed.  The Os are ready to roll - there aren't any major signings left unless a surprising trade happens.  Make the playoffs.

Archived