Buck Showalter Discusses Wild Card Criticism

PressBoxOnline

Yep, a curious move for a guy I generally consider to be one of the best if not the best. Over thinking it is the best I can come up with.

Some of my buddies think the world of Bochy and claim he is better than Madden.

IMO, they are really close as the best of the best, but Bochy does have more WS trophies in his resume.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to hear the totality of the thinking. For example, I didn't want to pitch Britton because Liriano looked really good. My thinking was that it was going to go far into extra innings and we really needed Ubaldo to provide us with some length given that all we had left in the bullpen was Britton and Bundy.

Then I would want an explanation as to why not Bundy closing.

Your thinking doesn't make sense. Britton could pitch 2 innings and Ubaldo could come in at that point.

Some of my buddies think the world of Bochy and claim he is better than Madden.

IMO, they are really close as the best of the best, but Bochy does have more WS trophies in his resume.

Bochy is no doubt a very good manager, but I remember that one time....

I understand why Buck brought Ubaldo to start the inning, don't understand why he didn't bring Britton in with 1st and 3rd and 1 out.

Going strictly by WPA, going into the bottom of an inning up by a run is a higher leverage situation than going into it with a tie. However, first and third one out is exactly where you bring in Britton to bail your team out. 5.01 leverage index, and the potential WPA for a clean 2 outs is greater than 1-run save situation. 35% change in WPA if Britton can get out of it. A 1-run save gets you 20% in WPA.

One thing I don't see mentioned is the roster construction. Why would you need 15 position players for one game??? That boggles my mind. Wouldn't you stack the roster with pitchers for this exact scenario? This is the American League, how many pinch hitters do you need for one game?

Blaming Buck and the pitching for the O's playoff loss is missing the main point. The O's didn't score many runs. The reason the O's were in the one game playoff was because the team didn't score runs during the last part of the season while the pitching was very good. Hope the O's can put together a team that can lead the AL in runs scored even if the team doesn't lead the majors in HRs.

Archived