Roch misses the point on O's relievers

wildcard

IMO Roch's blog this morning on keeping the relievers misses the point. He states that Duquette does not want to trade from the bullpen which is one of the teams main strengths. I agree that Dan doesn't want to trade from the pen but he probably has to do just that.

Yes, Dan wants to keep Britton. And maybe he wants to keep Brach as the closer for 2018 when Britton does get traded. But Givens is a valuable commodity. Each season it seems that relievers become more valued and more expensive. They probably make a big jump in value this off season after the way the playoff played out. Givens value raises along with the trend.

Watch out for Tommy Hunter. He has a career 3.27 ERA as a reliever and a 1.14 WHIP. He wants to come back to the O's. He may be available for between 2 to 3M. The O's may be able to trade Givens and add Hunter without weakening the pen much at all.

Options are a big deal in the pen. Givens has them and Hunter does not. However Given options may never be used. He is too good to option. A better guess would be the Worley (who is out of options) gets non tendered and Wilson/Wright (who have options) take his place.

I just think Roch is going a little too far to think that Dan will not trade from the pen. Where else does he have value to trade from to get a right fielder without spending a lot of money?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/orioles-arent-inclined-to-subtract-from-their-bullpen.html

As for the RF, I look for either nothing significant there or a salary dump where the other team picks up a lot of the remaining money.

Jay Bruce fits that mold, especially if they bring back Cespedes.

I think this is all GM speak. Some team may become very desperate for a reliever and could give up an incredible haul for Britton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not necessarily against trading a reliever, but let's not kid ourselves and say that Hunter is nearly as good as Givens.

Hunter: 8.4 H/9, 6.9 K/9 (as a reliever)

Givens: 6.8 H/9, 11.6 K/9

Yeah, Hunter is much stingier with walks, but he's much, much easier to hit. And Givens had a very strong second half and is likely to get better from here. I'd much rather have Givens than Hunter.

I am not necessarily against trading a reliever, but let's not kid ourselves and say that Hunter is nearly as good as Givens.

Hunter: 8.4 H/9, 6.9 K/9

Yeah, Hunter is much stingier with walks, but he's much, much easier to hit. And Givens had a very strong second half and is likely to get better from here. I'd much rather have Givens than Hunter.

I agree but something is probably going to have to be traded if the O's want a right fielder that can upgrade the defense and adds something offensively.

Hunter: 8.4 H/9, 6.9 K/9 (as a reliever)

Thanks. Considering the huge difference in salary, I would rather keep Givens and trade Britton, assuming that money is reinvested. Givens is going to be a closer some day.

I agree but something is probably going to have to be traded if the O's want a right fielder that can upgrade the defense and adds something offensively.

If you play a platoon of Joyce and Rickard in RF why isn't that an upgrade? Good OBP splits and plus defense.

IMO Roch's blog this morning on keeping the relievers misses the point. He states that Duquette does not want to trade from the bullpen which is one of the teams main strengths. I agree that Dan doesn't want to trade from the pen but he probably has to do just that.

Yes, Dan wants to keep Britton. And maybe he wants to keep Brach as the closer for 2018 when Britton does get traded. But Givens is a valuable commodity. Each season it seems that relievers become more valued and more expensive. They probably make a big jump in value this off season after the way the playoff played out. Givens value raises along with the trend.

Watch out for Tommy Hunter. He has a career 3.27 ERA as a reliever and a 1.14 WHIP. He wants to come back to the O's. He may be available for between 2 to 3M. The O's may be able to trade Givens and add Hunter without weakening the pen much at all.

Options are a big deal in the pen. Givens has them and Hunter does not. However Given options may never be used. He is too good to option. A better guess would be the Worley (who is out of options) gets non tendered and Wilson/Wright (who have options) take his place.

I just think Roch is going a little too far to think that Dan will not trade from the pen. Where else does he have value to trade from to get a right fielder without spending a lot of money?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/11/orioles-arent-inclined-to-subtract-from-their-bullpen.html

Roch is writing what he is hearing. That's what he is supposed to do, isn't it? You may disagree with the message DD is putting out there, but I don't see how that is on Roch. It could also be misdirection on the part of DD, as well.

Jay Bruce fits that mold, especially if they bring back Cespedes.

I think this is all GM speak. Some team may become very desperate for a reliever and could give up an incredible haul for Britton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What team becomes desperate for a reliever in the offseason?

Archived