Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

Just now, MurphDogg said:

Sure, but he doesn't have to be that good and be just as valuable if they can find a way to limit his time in the outfield.

I also do not think that his value was calculated accurately by WAR regardless. 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Spy Fox said:

They still could. The Roch article says "Duquette indicated that he’d like to add another left-handed hitting outfielder with plus defensive skills." Now that could mean a different and cheaper guy than Pagan, but Pagan is close enough to that profile that we might still target him.

I wasn't advocating for bringing Trumbo back but 3 years and less than $40M isn't really an overpay on its own. It's just less bang for the buck than I think whoever signs Alvarez and Carter are likely to get. 

If we sign him, then I can stomach Trumbo. We need a guy who can mash LHP, which Trey can do. Trumbo can't. We'll see what happens. 

Just now, weams said:

I don't either.  I also do not expect him to be as good as last year at the plate. 

Agreed, but he may actually be better defensively because A) He will be familiar with our RF, and B) He'll only play RF about half as much as last year and therefore not be as worn down day to day.

Also, CD has been extremely healthy the last two years, but you cant count on that moving forward. Trumbo might actually be a great fill in at 1B for 10-15+ games

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

If we sign him, then I can stomach Trumbo. We need a guy who can mash LHP, which Trey can do. Trumbo can't. We'll see what happens. 

This is not a real comment. Is it? Trumbo has an MLB track record. Not a prospect ceiling. 

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think that statement is an overreaction to last year's numbers. Trumbo has been slightly better against lefties than righties over an 850 game career. Mancini has only 14 MLB at bats. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think that statement is an overreaction to last year's numbers. Trumbo has been slightly better against lefties than righties over an 850 game career. Mancini has only 14 MLB at bats. 

Mancini hit .302 against LHP/ .250 against RHP in AAA and is naturally a good hitter. Dude is cheaper than Trumbo, and helps put money towards Manny/Britton/Tillman staying. 

On 1/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, Rene88 said:

I care much less about the Trumbo situation than I do the SP situation.

Aha!  I'm with you, on this one.  Of all the multitude of posts concerning the folly of signing Trumbo, yours "rings the bell".  You've hit on the crux of the matter.  Compare our SP to that of Boston, Toronto and Tampa Bay.  Now, what are your ideas to correct this situation?

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Mancini hit .302 against LHP/ .250 against RHP in AAA and is naturally a good hitter. Dude is cheaper than Trumbo, and helps put money towards Manny/Britton/Tillman staying. 

Mancini has bean a wonderful older minor leaguer with no real position.

21 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

They still could. The Roch article says "Duquette indicated that he’d like to add another left-handed hitting outfielder with plus defensive skills." Now that could mean a different and cheaper guy than Pagan, but Pagan is close enough to that profile that we might still target him.

I wasn't advocating for bringing Trumbo back but 3 years and less than $40M isn't really an overpay on its own. It's just less bang for the buck than I think whoever signs Alvarez and Carter are likely to get. 

That seems weird considering we have both Kim and Smith.  Seems like we'd want a defensive guy who can hit lefties.

Archived