Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

19 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

Yes, correct, Trumbo in right against lefties, my mistake. While I like Mancini, where are you going to play him if not as a pinch hitter and full-time DH against lefties? He's very limited defensively, he won't be playing much 1B since we have a Gold Glover there in Davis, and he's never played an inning at any other position in the minors.

Exactly. Although it was the organization's decision to put Walker in the outfield last year rather than seeing if Mancini can play there or not.  You are not going to play him only as a DH against lefties.  It would be a waste of his service time, imho.  His development is really being compromised by the Orioles at this point in my view if he is used in that limited role or exiled at Norfolk again.  He either must be traded or is really just going to be an emergency callup at Norfolk. 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, notfast said:

I feel like $10-12m is basically "throw away" money for a player in the MLB in 2017.

If they work out, Great. If they don't (Gallardo) you cut your losses, hope to get something and move on.

It's not just throw away money. We also keep throwing away draft picks that our bottom of the league farm system desperately needs.

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Exactly. Although it was the organization's decision to put Walker in the outfield last year rather than seeing if Mancini can play there or not.  You are not going to play him only as a DH against lefties.  It would be a waste of his service time, imho.  His development is really being compromised by the Orioles at this point in my view if he is used in that limited role or exiled at Norfolk again.  He either must be traded or is really just going to be an emergency callup at Norfolk. 

Maybe they thought Walker had a chance at making the change and Mancini didn't?

I've hate every DD extension, Hardy, Davis, O'day and now Trumbo. All players past their prime getting paid for past good years at salaries no one in baseball would have provided, leaving the O's with an old extremely slow (slowest in history?) team with bad OBP, and horrible base running and weak defense. I'm betting that Chris Carter out homers and out OPS's Trumbo this year on a 1/8 type deal.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe they thought Walker had a chance at making the change and Mancini didn't?

Pretty clear that is what they thought.  But if they thought Mancini's  bat was better than Walker's , it is hard to see what it would have hurt much at Norfolk to try.  Particularly after they signed Trumbo and then re-signed Davis.  Unless they just really want to maximize his trade value and have him continue to try to become a better first baseman and continue to mash at AAA.  If I am a first baseman anywhere in the Orioles minor league system, it is hard to see much of a path to the big team anytime soon. 

Every year advance metrics and projections pick us to finish dead last and every year we make the playoffs or come close.

Signing a super popular clubhouse vet, a masher who's entering his prime, to a pretty team friendly deal is hardly a bad thing.

Chemistry is important, players come and go so often these days there is something to be said for keeping a corps of guys together.

Maybe we will find that winning chemistry this year with the right mix of vets and improvements fro m young pitchers (gausman and bundy) and some Buck magic.

But if you really cannot find the bright side here just consider this, it's a hell of a lot better than it was 7 years ago. 

We're spending money, we are trying to win and the cupboard isn't completely bare (Mancini, bundy, gausman etc.)

we may have to end up paying the piper eventually but we may just buy our way out of a "bad farm system" when judgement day does come.

This is a new era of Oriole's baseball where we are winning every year despite what the projections constantly say, try and enjoy it! It could be a heck of a lot worse.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except they once again passed on an additional draft pick.

And of course they are signing talents like Trumbo long term instead of the more talented players on the team.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

4 hours ago, crawjo said:

The 2016 Orioles were one of my least favorite teams to watch. Too many home runs, too many strikeouts, decent enough success with a core group of players that feels like it's reached its ceiling. Now that we've doubled down on more or less bringing back the same offense for 2017 (and beyond) I'm not looking forward to watching them play next year. I feeI like I already know what this team is capable of, and they play a kind of baseball that I find boring. If I thought they would win 95 games, I'd put up with it, but honestly I'd rather see them get younger, faster, and less competitive than to watch the same group of veterans bang their heads against the same obstacles for another 162 games. 

These two quotes sum it up for me. Alvarez or Carter, more money and a pick beats this signing.

19 minutes ago, Norfolk orioles said:

Every year advance metrics and projections pick us to finish dead last and every year we make the playoffs or come close.

Signing a super popular clubhouse vet, a masher who's entering his prime, to a pretty team friendly deal is hardly a bad thing.

Chemistry is important, players come and go so often these days there is something to be said for keeping a corps of guys together.

Maybe we will find that winning chemistry this year with the right mix of vets and improvements fro m young pitchers (gausman and bundy) and some Buck magic.

But if you really cannot find the bright side here just consider this, it's a hell of a lot better than it was 7 years ago. 

We're spending money, we are trying to win and the cupboard isn't completely bare (Mancini, bundy, gausman etc.)

we may have to end up paying the piper eventually but we may just buy our way out of a "bad farm system" when judgement day does come.

This is a new era of Oriole's baseball where we are winning every year despite what the projections constantly say, try and enjoy it! It could be a heck of a lot worse.

Thanks for that...kind of incredible just how certain so many people are that this will be a bad deal. We will DH Trumbo 75% of the time, and I hope he will hit enough, and we will keep him out of right enough, that he'll retain value over three years.

I'm not certain that I love this, and I was kind of in favor of giving Mancini a run, but we are going for it. We haven't had a losing season in 5 years after being trash for a decade and a half. Our team is pretty much set, and I like where we stand. Let's get after it.

I like this deal as long as Trumbo is primarily a DH/1B and plays fewer than 30 games a year in the outfield.

6 hours ago, weams said:

He will play more than that this year. If he is healthy.

I see Trumbo as Seth Smith's strict platoon partner in RF. DHs every other day. Trey is Mark's strict DH platoon. Mark in RF about 50 games. Better than last year's D if Smith can hold up his end.

I don't know why DD STILL wants a LH OFer. You get a good RH glove to platoon with Kim and force Joey to AAA. Team is done.

38 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I agree. If there is one main reason we keep out performing the predictions, it's because of chemistry, which can't be quantified. And that's a Buck specialty.

They also build teams that fit the park (and AL East in general). If you play half your games in OPACY, you need to hit over 200 HRs if you want a chance to compete. Accompany that with a good pen and good IF defense and voila.

13 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I see Trumbo as Seth Smith's strict platoon partner in RF. DHs every other day. Trey is Mark's strict DH platoon. Mark in RF about 50 games. Better than last year's D if Smith can hold up his end.

I don't know why DD STILL wants a LH OFer. You get a good RH glove to platoon with Kim and force Joey to AAA. Team is done.

Do we know how real that is? It could have been negotiating leverage with Trumbo.

Archived