ESPN Article: "Time for Orioles to trade baseball's best closer"

isestrex

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

I am not sure where you are getting these out of thin air thoughts, but Turner is a realistic return. Sale was one of the best pitchers in baseball, Britton IS the best closer in baseball. Closers are being valued as much as the best pitchers in baseball, that is why IMO you sell high.

I have no idea why you are talking about Manny. Turner, believe it or not, would be available for Britton, them the facts. As Weams has stated, if he isn't, you move on but Rizzo really screwed up this offseason. His back is against the wall now.

I know everyone loves Turner, but we need pitching. We should have been in on Giolito+ before he was traded for Eaton. That's the deal I would have done, we don't need Turner. Sure, he would be great to have, but we need SP, end of story.

Nope. You're still wrong. I've said it before, but you need to look at the return the Royals got for Wade Davis....then maybe ratchet it up a bit for Britton who is a bit better. That's your value. There's absolutely zero chance the Nationals ever trade Turner for Britton. Nor should they. You (and Weams) are entitled to your opinions, just like I am, but mine (this time) are much more rooted in reality. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Nope. You're still wrong. I've said it before, but you need to look at the return the Royals got for Wade Davis....then maybe ratchet it up a bit for Britton who is a bit better. That's your value. There's absolutely zero chance the Nationals ever trade Turner for Britton. Nor should they. You (and Weams) are entitled to your opinions, just like I am, but mine (this time) are much more rooted in reality. 

You are 100 percent right.  Trea Turner is maybe one of the top five assets in baseball right now and is not a realistic trade target for Britton.  

Turner was worth 3.3 WAR in less than half a season last year and has six years of team control.  Britton had 2.5 WAR last year in a full season that was his career best and has two years of team control.  It really is laughable to propose that the Nats give him up in a trade for Britton.  

5 hours ago, weams said:

No I can see the upside on what your team did. If he stays healthy, or regains health. I'd be concerned about what DL'd him twice though. You just never know with pitchers. The Nationals are at the end of a run. 

Yeah, I'd hate to have Scherzer, Strasburg, Ross, and Roark through 2020.  Turner and Eaton at the top of the lineup through 2021.  And a GM who will reload on power hitters along the way.

They'll probably be sellers by July.

8 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Yeah, I'd hate to have Scherzer, Strasburg, Ross, and Roark through 2020.  Turner and Eaton at the top of the lineup through 2021.  And a GM who will reload on power hitters along the way.

They'll probably be sellers by July.

Trading for Eaton allowed them to flip Espinosa as well to recoup some of that trade.

After this season they get rid of Jayson Werth's contract as well as Gio Gonzalez (if he's not traded).

Then there's the impending trade of Bryce Harper, who is a superstar player but whose loss won't cripple them.

They're probably still good for 3-4 years or however long it take for the Braves/Phillies to compete.  If they truly compete.  The Jose Fernandez situation in Miami changed the future of the division.

Nationals are a strong team in a relatively week division. I still don't think they will ever advance in the playoffs but they will continue to get there over the next few years. Plus they have an owner committed to winning by spending money and trading talent to further better the team.  This from someone who doesn't even like the Nationals.

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

It's time to talk to the Marlins.  Not necessarily for Britton.  Their owner dictated they go big after a closer and they failed in acquiring one via free agency.  This is exactly the type of team that might over pay for a closer.

It would definitely help to get the Marlins to bid - if for no other reason that they are in the Nats' division and them going after Britton could motivate the Nats to give a significant offer.  The Marlins might be the Nats' only competition for the division championship in the next couple of years - that is a weak division.    

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

It would definitely help to get the Marlins to bid - if for no other reason that they are in the Nats' division and them going after Britton could motivate the Nats to give a significant offer.  The Marlins might be the Nats' only competition for the division championship in the next couple of years - that is a weak division.    

Exactly.  You have the two bullpen losers in the same division, both with mandates from ownership.  It's like war profiteering, get in there and play them against each other.  I guarantee Hahn is.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Exactly.  You have the two bullpen losers in the same division, both with mandates from ownership.  It's like war profiteering, get in there and play them against each other.  I guarantee Hahn is.

We might be having this same conversation at the trade deadline, but if the Nats are running away with the division - the demand might not be there.  

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

It's time to talk to the Marlins.  Not necessarily for Britton.  Their owner dictated they go big after a closer and they failed in acquiring one via free agency.  This is exactly the type of team that might over pay for a closer.

I agree but the Marlins just don't have much to offer.  If they are trading for a big time closer and going for it that means they aren't going to be trading too much from their MLB team.  Their farm system is pretty weak in the top prospects you would want back for trading Britton.  

I just don't see them matching up with us.  The nats unloaded their farm system for Eaton.  When the Dodgers kept Jansen, I think that ended the Britton market.  We would need a team like Texas to get into the bidding.  Young MLB ready players and a good farm system.  

It just occurred to me - the best reasonable way to make a Britton trade more palatable to the O's is to include a swap of Gio Gonzales for Ubaldo Jimenez.  Gio's obviously better, but the Nats haven't seemed to be real committed to him.  They took on the $12 mil team option to keep him, but that seemed half-hearted.  I believe by doing that, they also guaranteed him 12 mil for 2018.  Ubaldo's got just 2017 at... gulp... 13.5 mil.  

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

No way the Nats are trading Turner, especially after trading Espinosa to make room for him at SS.    I'm not sure they'd trade him even up for Manny.   

That's an interesting trade idea. I'd consider it, depending on what else we could get for Manny. Assuming, we won't sign him. 

Archived