Pedro Alvarez

esmd

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, esmd said:

I don't have a problem with a multi-year deal if it's cheap.  If they can get him to take the same or even less than he made last year, all the better. I think the production he offers makes it a value signing, even on a 2/11.5M or 3/17.25 deal.  You'd be getting a guy who'll hit 25+ HRs as a platoon DH who can play the field in emergent circumstances for 3 years at less than a 1 year QO.

I like Pedro.  He's the best option other than EE.  Pedro just doesn't have many options left to go DH at.  Everyone knows he's a hack in the field.  I'd be content with Pedro and Pagan to fill the two remaining holes.  

3 hours ago, esmd said:

I don't get the lack of desire to re-sign The Bull.  Looking at his career numbers, he's actually pretty comparable to Trumbo, and I have to think they could get him for a lot less.

Trumbo 162 game career avg:  .251 BA, .303 OBP, .776 OPS, 34 HRs, 99 RBIs, 163 K's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/trumbma01.shtml

Alvarez 162 game career avg:  .238 BA, .311 OBP, .759 OPS, 29 HRs, 86 RBIs, 172 K's

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/alvarpe01.shtml

They paid Alvarez 5.75M last season, I've got to believe they could sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal with an AAV of somewhere in the 7-8M range, which is half of what Trumbo would cost and one less season.  Plus he's a left handed bat, which they have stated is desirable for them.  No denying Trumbo's numbers are slightly better, but Alvarez is no slouch, and for half the AAV, it just seems to me to be a much better value.  What am I missing here?

Who his agent is.

57 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They could send Mancini back and let him play corner Of at AAA.

Doubtful considering they had all season last year to try him out there.  

I prefer Brandon Moss to Pedro Alvarez.  Won't cost much more than Alvarez and can play some OF.  Matt Joyce was the guy I really wanted to fill this role but he's gone.  

Agreed, Mancini in the minors is a waste and makes no sense.  They either need to have him on the 25 man this year and give him regular AB's (I would DH him against lefties at a minimum, maybe spell Davis at 1B at times), or sign a full-time DH (Trumbo, EE) and trade Mancini.

Archived