Smith for Gallardo: Who Saw It Coming?

Bahama O's Fan

19 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Guess I missed that post. I didn't see any major news outlets hearing rumors of it.

I was just being a smart .....:) Those are the names of two past insiders. No, I don't think anyone saw this, it broke quickly.

27 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I just want to point out that we seem to have a "tight" front office. I heard no rumors about an interest in this whatsoever till it broke. Did anyone else.?

There were no rumors of any kind. 

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I knew:

(a) the Orioles were looking for a left handed OF with good OBP

(b) the Orioles were trying to trade one of their back end starting pitchers

(c) the Mariners were actively shopping Seth Smith

...but I couldn't put 2 and 2 together.

Last month this Seattle fan came over to Orioles Hangout for the first time in years to float a trade of Seth Smith for Wade Miley because on some level the O's were deep in starting pitching.

I still would have preferred Miley to Yovani Gallardo although most Mariner fans would disagree.

I hope the trade works out for each club.

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/mariners-better-trades-dyson-gallardo/

7 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I knew:

(a) the Orioles were looking for a left handed OF with good OBP

(b) the Orioles were trying to trade one of their back end starting pitchers

(c) the Mariners were actively shopping Seth Smith

...but I couldn't put 2 and 2 together.

I didn't think Gallardo would get it done.

14 minutes ago, oriole said:

I have a feeling that the Dyson trade may have preceded this trade which is why it is so seemingly one sided. Seattle needed to get something done quick and Duquette probably took advantage of the desperation.

The bottom line was that Seattle did not want slow-footed Seth Smith in the outfield with the DH slot committed to Nelson Cruz. According to reports, the Mariners had been shopping Smith for months and likely settled this week for the best offer.

I get it that Baltimore fans were dismayed with Gallardo's 23 starts in an O's uniform but the Mariners are gambling that this year the right-hander will be closer to the 4.1 bWAR posted two years ago in his only season with an AL West team.

11 minutes ago, health55 said:

The bottom line was that Seattle did not want slow-footed Seth Smith in the outfield with the DH slot committed to Nelson Cruz. According to reports, the Mariners had been shopping Smith for months and likely settled this week for the best offer.

I get it that Baltimore fans were dismayed with Gallardo's 23 starts in an O's uniform but the Mariners are gambling that this year the right-hander will be closer to the 4.1 bWAR posted two years ago in his only season with an AL West team.

There was concern on the health of that shoulder. No one disliked the pitcher or belittled his talent. It appeared structural and would have been full disclosed before the trade. If he's healthy, he will help you.

Archived