Roch: Tillman negotiating an extension.

bpilktree

I just saw that Tilman is believed to test free agency as the team and him are rather far apart in terms of a deal.  I wonder what we offered and what he is looking for.   This maybe our last chance with this group of guys then we have to rebuild it all up. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think some people assume that since the Orioles haven't been able to find a number that makes Tillman's camp want to resign, that he wants to test the free agent waters.

Fine, but both the thread title and the OP indicate that bpilktree is referring to a specific report he/she read.    What is it?    It sounds more specific than just assumption.  

26 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think some people assume that since the Orioles haven't been able to find a number that makes Tillman's camp want to resign, that he wants to test the free agent waters.

There is no source that states this. 

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Thanks for posting.   I don't see anything in the article that really says he intends to test free agency.    It just says that if a deal isn't reached before the season, it's likely Tillman won't be signed during the season.    In other words, I don't think there's really any news here or that Tillman or his agent have said anything one way or another.    

That said, I think the O's should be putting their best foot forward here.    Replacing at least two starting pitchers next winter is going to be very tough.    We don't appear to have anyone who will be ready to step up in 2018, so we're going to end up paying FA prices to someone; why not our own guy and a guy who, as the article points out, is a leader on our staff?

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

I hope he does plan to test free agency. This should mean he has a very good year.

Personally, I am probably naive, but I would really hope that our guys have such a high desire to win, that regardless of the fact they are in the walk year of their contract or not, they are trying as hard as they can.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not a big surprise. I hope the O's don't overpay. Trade him at the break if we are out of it or take a draft pick. 

I surely hope he doesn't leave.

The man has posted a posted WAR in every season here, even his down year.

Twice in the last 4 years, he has posted a 4.0+ WAR.

He is a solid and dependable starter and they don't grow on trees.

2 hours ago, Larry18 said:

The Ian Kennedy signing killed the Orioles chance at a fair salary for Tillman.

The Orioles waiting this long killed the Orioles' chance at a fair salary for Tillman.

I think other teams have shown that if you want to sign home grown talent long term you best act in the per-arbitration years.

Archived