Spring training doesn't matter

PaulFolk

OK, that's kind of a tongue-in-cheek thread title -- I couldn't resist the contrast with the "Spring training matters" thread.

Sure, spring training matters for the fringe guys who are battling for spots as reserve players. But don't get fooled by spring training statistics, lest you fall victim to the next Jake Fox.

More here: http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/02/24/love-jake-fox-orioles-must-wary-great-spring-training-performances/

Last Spring, I was certain that Kim wasn't worth a side of kimchi. Wrong. But I learned my lesson to enjoy some baseball in Florida and to be. at most. disconcerted by poor ABs and poor pitching command and control. I'll allow myself get excited by a young player who is perhaps over-performing. Let the guys get into baseball shape, experiment with new pitches or batting stances, and do their thing.

There was an interesting bit on Bill James' reader interaction page the other day where Bill said that spring training doesn't matter.  But sometimes you have to pretend it does to give the guys incentive to try and work hard.  If you really say that Jake Fox can never make the team even if he slugs 1.000 in the spring then why does Jake Fox get out of bed in the morning?  You don't make stupid decisions like dumping your left fielder because some 31-year-old hit .375 in the spring against AA pitchers.  But sometimes you let a guy come north because he tore stuff up.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There was an interesting bit on Bill James' reader interaction page the other day where Bill said that spring training doesn't matter.  But sometimes you have to pretend it does to give the guys incentive to try and work hard.  If you really say that Jake Fox can never make the team even if he slugs 1.000 in the spring then why does Jake Fox get out of bed in the morning?  You don't make stupid decisions like dumping your left fielder because some 31-year-old hit .375 in the spring against AA pitchers.  But sometimes you let a guy come north because he tore stuff up.

Same reason I go to work, a paycheck.

22 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He was a tweener.  If he could play catcher he'd have been useful.  If he'd hit better he could have DH'd or played first.  A .750 or .775 OPS with D- catching skills or a first baseman's mitt doesn't get you very far.  

Definitely a D-

6 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Sure, spring training matters for the fringe guys who are battling for spots as reserve players. But don't get fooled by spring training statistics, lest you fall victim to the next Jake Fox.

O's are giving up 0 runs this year. 

Archived