Fred Ferreira

Frobby

When the O's hired Fred Ferreira to head international scouting, there was a lot of skepticism around MLB and sentiment that Ferreira was over the hill.    Ferreira immediately came up big by signing Miguel Gonzalez out of the Mexican League, and as I recall, won some sort of scouting award in his first year here.   He was involved in the Uruttia and Alvarez signings, which showed some early promise but have fizzled out.  He holds the title of Executive Director of International Recruiting.

That said, has our International/Latin American recruiting gotten better under Ferreira's direction?    Looking at the OH top 25, we've got Ofelky Peralta (9), Jhon Peluffo (16), Jomar Reyes (19) and Irving Ortega  (22).   There's also Jesus Liranzo (17) who was originally signed by the Braves; perhaps Ferreira's team was involved in signing him, but I don't know.     Obviously, Ferreira hasn't had a huge budget to work with.    Has he done a good job?

Peralta - signed out of the Dominican at age 16 for $325 k.

Peluffo - signed out of Colombia at age 16 (bonus unknown).

Reyes - signed out of the Dominican at age 16 for $350 k.

Ortega - signed out of the Dominican at age 17 for $60 k.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When the O's hired Fred Ferreira to head international scouting, there was a lot of skepticism around MLB and sentiment that Ferreira was over the hill.    Ferreira immediately came up big by signing Miguel Gonzalez out of the Mexican League, and as I recall, won some sort of scouting award in his first year here.   He was involved in the Uruttia and Alvarez signings, which showed some early promise but have fizzled out.  He holds the title of Executive Director of International Recruiting.

That said, has our International/Latin American recruiting gotten better under Ferreira's direction?    Looking at the OH top 25, we've got Ofelky Peralta (9), Jhon Peluffo (16), Jomar Reyes (19) and Irving Ortega  (22).   There's also Jesus Liranzo (17) who was originally signed by the Braves; perhaps Ferreira's team was involved in signing him, but I don't know.     Obviously, Ferreira hasn't had a huge budget to work with.    Has he done a good job?

He signed Miggy Gonzalez too, though that is now what you were asking. No, the Orioles have not done well internationally because the ownership is not interested in playing by the previous rules. I have no idea if it will improve with the new rules. Fred is legendary. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

He signed Miggy Gonzalez too, though that is now what you were asking. No, the Orioles have not done well internationally because the ownership is not interested in playing by the previous rules. I have no idea if it will improve with the new rules. Fred is legendary. 

The fact that he's legendary doesn't bear on whether he has done a good job for the Orioles.    Vlad Guerrero was legendary before he played for the Orioles, and Ferreira (who signed Vlad for the Expos) was legendary before he scouted for us.     Vlad did not play well for us, despite being legendary for his past accomplishments.   I don't really know if Ferreira has done a good job for us.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The fact that he's legendary doesn't bear on whether he has done a good job for the Orioles.    Vlad Guerrero was legendary before he played for the Orioles, and Ferreira (who signed Vlad for the Expos) was legendary before he scouted for us.     Vlad did not play well for us, despite being legendary for his past accomplishments.   I don't really know if Ferreira has done a good job for us.

Now if he could have signed this Vlad Guerrero...

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You missed my point. No one does a good job at international without big investment. So Fred stunk. 

From what i hear, the most important international scout we have is former Orioles pitcher Calvin Maduro. He's got a tremendous eye for talent and has been behind most of the Orioles best signings from DR, Venezuela and the ABC islands!

Who signed Schoop? 

Since none of those players are above A ball its hard to call any of them a success. 

10 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Who signed Schoop? 

Since none of those players are above A ball its hard to call any of them a success. 

Schoop signed with the O's in 2008.  I can't see to find who scouted him.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Who signed Schoop? 

All 16 year old signs take five years to even be on radars.  So I guess, you can't even talk about anything that Fred might have accomplished. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

From what i hear, the most important international scout we have is former Orioles pitcher Calvin Maduro. He's got a tremendous eye for talent and has been behind most of the Orioles best signings from DR, Venezuela and the ABC islands!

Schoop, Peralta and others.   

1 hour ago, weams said:

All 16 year old signs take five years to even be on radars.  So I guess, you can't even talk about anything that Fred might have accomplished. 

It's not true that it takes five years to get on the radar.    I also don't necessarily agree that you couldnt be successful without paying large bonuses.   There are a lot of highly rated Latino prospects who didn't earn large bonuses.   From BP's top 100 list:

7. Victor Robles $225 k

30. Reynaldo Lopez $17 k

31. Ronald Acuna $100 k

34.  Francisco Mejia $350 k

35.   Ozhaino Albies $350 k

40.   Sandy Alcantara $125 k

42.   Raimel Tapia $175 k

43.  Jorge Mateo $250 k

82.   Albert Abreu $185 k

86.  Frankie Montas $75 k

91.  Adonis Medina $70 k

95.  Anderson Tejeda $335 k

Now, don't get me wrong.   There are another 15 or so top 100 prospects who earned $800 k and up.     Fred certainly has been operating with one hand behind his back.    But there have been plenty of gems under the high bonus radar, too.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Schoop, Peralta and others.   

Maduro has scouted and signed among others:

Schoop
Eduardo Rodriguez
Peralta
Peluffo
Jomar Reyes
Ariel Miranda (the only Cuban who has done anything at the major league level that the Orioles have signed and got them a major league starter)

I wonder how long they will be able to keep him since the Orioles have a tendency to skip their hard working successful guys like Maduro and bring in outside "Harvard" guys or Duquette's buddies for executive or senior scouting positions regardless of resumes.

I believe he also signed RHP Gillian Wernet who could be 2017 version of Peluffo. 

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Would the signing of Miranda, who was traded for Miley, count in this discussion?  Doesn't move the needle much in either direction, but thought I would ask.

Sure. Miranda got the Orioles a major league starter. You can argue how successful of a one, but he still had value.

Archived