Britton injured - DL

Babypowder

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like relief pitchers getting beat with their fourth best pitch.  Heck Britton's four seamer might be better than his curve.

Were his pitches as effective as normal? He was getting the ball up more than normal and not himself. The guy was a former starter not like he just invented the pitch.  If he was throwing normal I would agree.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, eddie83 said:

Were his pitches as effective as normal? He was getting the ball up more than normal and not himself. The guy was a former starter not like he just invented the pitch.  If he was throwing normal I would agree.  

If you want to bring a pitch back whey not go with the split finger or even the four seam?

Mind you I am not blaming a solitary curve ball for the injury, it just seems like an odd pitch to bring out of the mothballs.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like relief pitchers getting beat with their fourth best pitch.  Heck Britton's four seamer might be better than his curve.

The idea (expressed by Dempsey) is to show a different speed pitch once in a while so the hitters don't just look for one pitch.    I've practically never seen a hitter swing at Britton's curve the last three years, because it catches them completely off guard when he does.   

In any event, I'm not too worried yet.   I'll take Buck at his word.  

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How is that his fourth best pitch?   They are calling it a curve ball.   Let's just call it a breaking ball.   He was throwing it all last year and it was very effective.   He didn't use it much.    He doesn't even throw a changeup anymore.     I'm not buying that he's been throwing sliders and this one happened to be a curve ball.   It's the same breaking pitch.   He has only used two pitches as a reliever and this was one of them.

If you are considering the slider and the curve the same pitch than yea, it is his second pitch.

He did at one time throw both a curve and a slider and most folks I have read call his current breaking ball a slider.  I hear curve and I think of one of the pitches he shelved.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If you are considering the slider and the curve the same pitch than yea, it is his second pitch.

He did at one time throw both a curve and a slider and most folks I have read call his current breaking ball a slider.  I hear curve and I think of one of the pitches he shelved.

I remember the pitch from Friday. It looked like the same one he has used last couple of years. I view it as a sweeping breaking ball-curveball. 

4 minutes ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Doesn't mean I can't be "unhappy" they didn't do it.

I'm just operating under what the team was doing and that was keeping Britton and they were considering trading Brach.  If he had gone we'd be thinner in the BP with a suspect SP rotation.  If you want to argue trading Britton I wouldn't have been adverse to that if I got the right offer.  

Archived