Why I like Gordon Beckham

He played really well in the Cape Cod league last summer.

This is indicative of several things. First, he can hit with a wooden bat. It doesn't matter how good a hitter a player is in college if he can't hit with a wooden bat. And he showed that he could make the adjustments needed to do so. Being able to make adjustments in general is a good thing.

It also shows that playing at Georgia, which is supposed to be a hitters park, is not the reason for his good offensive numbers. Plus, he showed he can hit - and hit well - against most of the best pitchers in the country.

Also: it shows that his great numbers from this season are no fluke, and he'll be able to deal with the longer, more intense pro ball schedule.

He should be able to stick at SS, where he'll be average to slightly above average on defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?sort=avg&split=0&league=al&season=2008&seasonType=2&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&minpa=0&hand=a&pos=ss&startDate=null&endDate=null

Yeah, decent hitting SSs are rare. Good hitting SSs - who are actually decent on defense too (aka not Hanley Ramirez or Jeter of recent years) are practically nonexistent.

Also, watch him on defense. He has great instincts and makes hard plays look easy. He's a very natural SS.

He has a great makeup.

Yay for a completely subjective analysis. But everything you read about him in this regard is not just positive; it's glowing. Plus, he's an Academic All American.

Beckham is not in my top three, but if our pick comes around and Tim Beckham, Alvarez and Smoak are gone, I hope the O's take him.

I question whether he has the range to ultimately be an "above-average" defensive shortstop, but he shouldn't have too much trouble making plays on the balls he can reach. He's a little stiff when ranging right and left, so the fringe plays will continue to get more difficult and there will be less margin for error. I've seen him make some incredible plays this year, though. Kid is a lot of fun to watch.

The real job of scouting is so important with a player like him. Will his position ultimately be SS? Will his swing work in the majors? He's an unusual player with apparently superlative makeup. Will that makeup... make up... for physical deficiencies? If you think it will, then you pick him ahead of Smoak. Otherwise, no.

who was that one guy the O's had back in the day that didn't have incredible range at shortstop, but had what we called impeccable "instincts?" He hit the hell out of the ball and always managed to be in the right place at the right time.

Cal something.

who was that one guy the O's had back in the day that didn't have incredible range at shortstop, but had what we called impeccable "instincts?" He hit the hell out of the ball and always managed to be in the right place at the right time.

Cal something.

Jeez, comparisons to Cal already? I can only imagine what would happen if the O's actually drafted him.

Cal something.

This is a pretty big stretch, although I guess I get to add Beckham to the list of prospects/draftees that people on this board have tried to use "Cal Evidence" to defend. I should have a bingo card :)

I just found it amusing to hear die-hard O's fans that surely use the "Cal didn't have range, but had instincts and is one of the greatest defensive SSs of all time" argument question another player that has limited range but apparently has "instincts" and "plays the game the right way."

Not saying either are inaccurate. Cal was a tremendous player in the field and Beckham's apparent limited range makes me nervous as well. It's just a tad ironic.

I'm in support of drafting Beckham, but at the same time, I'm not necessarily against drafting any of the top players we've discussed. Nobody seems to be a clear cut No. 1, so at No. 4, any player has as much of a chance of finding success as the next.

Archived