Roll Tide

I think it's time for a change!

with Tillman coming back my suggested rotation is

1) Bundy

2) Tillman

3) Miley

4) Gausman

and ....... 5) Asher

id move Jiminez to the bullpen long relief role and cut him if he struggles too long. He looked good the other night and perhaps it's because he didn't have too much time to think about it.

Asher has looked good to me and he should get the first shot. We also have some other good options.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

Asher has been optioned for 10 days and is not available to the O's.   Let's see what they do with Wilson today.

They could always DL somebody.

i like Wilsons effort ....but based on him numbers last year and his 2 starts I think Asher deserves the first shot. Just my 2 cents.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

They could always DL somebody.

i like Wilsons effort ....but based on him numbers last year and his 2 starts I think Asher deserves the first shot. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that Asher deserves a shot at the rotation.  But with him no available its between Ubaldo and Wilson.  The O's will have to pick one or call someone else up.

I'd give Ubaldo one more shot, unless somebody goes on the DL enabling them to bring up Asher. But he deserves to be on the thinnest of ice given his poor performance so far and the positive results of all of our spot starters. 

For the fifth slot, I would prefer Asher over Ubaldo. Anyone over Ubaldo. Jimenez might -- might -- fare well in long relief when the game is well out of reach, but I would never trust him in any close game, either as a starter or reliever. He pitched fairly well out of the bullpen for us over two years now, but look how that ended last year when we most needed a clutch performance against Toronto. And, if in fact Ubaldo can only be used when the game is out of hand, then in my mind he's no longer necessary. You might as well put someone in that role that has a potential future with the club. Or bring back McFarland. Whatever. 

9 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

For the fifth slot, I would prefer Asher over Ubaldo. Anyone over Ubaldo. Jimenez might -- might -- fare well in long relief when the game is well out of reach, but I would never trust him in any close game, either as a starter or reliever. He pitched fairly well out of the bullpen for us over two years now, but look how that ended last year when we most needed a clutch performance against Toronto. And, if in fact Ubaldo can only be used when the game is out of hand, then in my mind he's no longer necessary. You might as well put someone in that role that has a potential future with the club. Or bring back McFarland. Whatever. 

Ubaldo had an 8-something ERA in five relief appearances last year. And also did poorly in a few relief outings in 2014. I think if he can't turn it around as a SP he's likely gone in the next couple months. We seem to have better pitching depth than previous years, and we have less to lose with Ubaldo's contract now that it's in its final year. 

15 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Ubaldo pitched well the other night. I'd put him in the BP. 

Bleier, Jimenez, and Wilson really did a great job of saving the bullpen in what was a potentially disastrous situation.

They don't need to make a move with Wilson today.  The bullpen has enough pieces ready to go.

Forcing Asher down means they'll go with Tillman on Sunday.

My bet is that Ubaldo will pitch Tuesday.  Asher would be able to go the next turn against KC.  Jimenez to the bullpen until there is a roster crunch.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

I feel weird knocking Ubaldo because I have defended the guy for three straight years (and he still seems like a great person at heart), but I just don't see any improvement. He only has those 6-week stretches or so most years where he pitches remarkably well.  But then it's back to his normal self, which is a guy who walks way too many batters but then seems to pitch better once there are two or more runners on base. That said, I won't be the least bit surprised if he pitches like Greg Maddux in his prime over the last two months of the season, just to incite all the "Should we re-sign Ubaldo?" off-season threads here on OH.  :D

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Until he doesn't pitch well in the BP?

I'm with Spy Fox - this is the final year of his deal, once the shuttle slows down, he may be off the team.

Amazing the venom for Ubaldo

In fact he has been better than Gausman... if Gausman hadn't have been tossed he was well on his way to getting blown out again.

Tillman is a big question mark

The O's need Ubaldo, and I'm betting he goes on a hot streak when the weather warms. He does not like pitching in crappy cold weather

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Amazing the venom for Ubaldo

In fact he has been better than Gausman... if Gausman hadn't have been tossed he was well on his way to getting blown out again.

Tillman is a big question mark

The O's need Ubaldo, and I'm betting he goes on a hot streak when the weather warms. He does not like pitching in crappy cold weather

Haven't you been bashing DD for signing Ubaldo for years? Saying that he's been better than Gausman this year is irrelevant because they both have been poor, but it's clear which one has a better chance to be better he rest of the year, and if you have say Ubaldo, you are going off of wishes more than facts.

I do agree though that Tillman is a giant question mark with the way he was pitching during his rehab. We can only hope he was treating it like spring training and working on things.

Archived