The Reality about the Showalter-Duquette Era

Uli2001

16 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I was fully aware of that when I wrote the OP. I did say they were consistent, consistently mediocre (plus one really good season). That will give you the best record over 5 years. But do you get a trophy for that? Meanwhile, low-budget KC made the WS twice over that span, and won it once. 

I understand. But you also knew you were wrong and wanted to promote your thoughts as factual right?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do also want to remind folks that a formula for building a good team is to have the worst team in baseball for five seasons. It's a really good plan. Get out of the cellar? Trade someone for prospects. Though eventually, you lose them to rule five!

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

Mediocre is around the middle of the pack.  Last year we had the 6th best record in baseball.  2015 was the average or mediocre year.  2014 we had 2nd best record in baseball.  2013 12th best but still 8 over .500.  That year was crazy with so many good teams,  2012 7th best record.  So I would say we had one great year two very good years and two average years.

Except for 2014, they have been either out of the playoffs or marginally into the playoffs. Never sniffed the WS, not even in 2014. That's the definition of mediocre. Before 2012, they were not mediocre, they were awful.

Dude, the Duquette-Showalter era has produced a lot of wins. It hasn't been "mediocre." Our fans never had much confidence because we perceived the era as a "smoke and mirrors" show. But these guys brought us winning baseball after 14 losing seasons. Obviously we all wish we had an organization stocked with budding talent. Nonetheless, don't act like these guys are losers - they're better than the 14 years that preceded them 

7 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Not mediocre, but also not building to greater things. 

That is where I am. I feel like the "swing for the fences/good bullpen/hope-we-get-lucky-with-starting-pitiching" plan has remained the same for the entire run. Not addressing the last part, or at least correctly addressing the last part, has led to stagnation. 

Don't get me wrong, I endured every dreadful year of the "dark stretch" and appreciate this current run. But it is a bit frustrating that we seemingly aren't going get any more than an ALCS appearance and one AL East pennant out of it. 

5 minutes ago, Tbone83 said:

But it is a bit frustrating that we seemingly aren't going get any more than an ALCS appearance and one AL East pennant out of it. 

I'm 100% with you on this. But I also thing DAD and BS deserve credit for the alcs and pennant runs. Much better than 14 losing seasons. 

And, by the way, it's not like our run is over. Although things look awful at the moment there are still possible positive outcomes: 

1) settle down and make a playoff run this year 

2) trade Miley, Castio, Brach, and Britton and be ready again by 2018 

2 minutes ago, 99ct said:

I'm 100% with you on this. But I also thing DAD and BS deserve credit for the alcs and pennant runs. Much better than 14 losing seasons. 

And, by the way, it's not like our run is over. Although things look awful at the moment there are still possible positive outcomes: 

1) settle down and make a playoff run this year 

2) trade Miley, Castio, Brach, and Britton and be ready again by 2018 

Haha so many typos... I apologise. Can't find the "edit" button on mobile 

1 hour ago, Uli2001 said:

Except for 2014, they have been either out of the playoffs or marginally into the playoffs. Never sniffed the WS, not even in 2014. That's the definition of mediocre. Before 2012, they were not mediocre, they were awful.

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

9 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yeah, he's using a pretty liberal definition of that term.     But whatever.    Most teams wish they'd been as mediocre as the Orioles the last five years.   

Archived