Why Wouldn't This Trade Deadline Plan Work

Brendan25

I completely agree.  He had a bad outing or two and when you have only pitched 30 innings that skews things.  I think even if other teams recognize that, no one is going to pay $18 million for his age 35 and 36 seasons.  That's a lot of risk to accept.  

Now if the Orioles kick in some money, maybe a team is willing to give up a prospect for a cheap set up man under contract for 2 more years.  I don't know what that deal looks like and I can't think of any analogs off the top of my head.

No trade for Jones this year.   Too many Jones jerseys have been sold to do that. I forsee a three year contract for Jones with a friendly trade of him to the Padres in two years...... Machado is too rich for our blood and $ 300 to 350 million is too much to sink into one player in a smaller market town.   We can upgrade a number of positions with that $300 million and the traded players.  Think of this-   spread a plus 100 points in batting overage over two field players and  - 100 points for the opponent with one or two good pitchers and we are back in the same place.  With money to spare.

On 7/12/2017 at 2:06 PM, DirtyBird said:

I think we should trade Castillo for whatever we can get for him, just because I don't want him taking his option for next season.

His option is team friendly and without him you having Caleb and nothing else. Sisco defensively looks like a DH or a position change. He can't currently handle minor league runners and will be eaten alive at the majors. Our SP is already bad ...let's make it worse by adding a catcher who couldn't throw out your grandmother. I really like his bat ...but seems like another player that's redundant due to the clog at 1B, DH, and poor defensive OF.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

His option is team friendly and without him you having Caleb and nothing else. Sisco defensively looks like a DH or a position change. He can't currently handle minor league runners and will be eaten alive at the majors. Our SP is already bad ...let's make it worse by adding a catcher who couldn't throw out your grandmother. I really like his bat ...but seems like another player that's redundant due to the clog at 1B, DH, and poor defensive OF.

Paying $7 million to the second best catcher on the team doesn't seem team friendly to me.

If not Sisco, I'd rather go with Caleb and Pena than pay Castillo $7 million.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

The farm system isn't as empty at you think. We just don't have one specific thing. That being 3 SP prospects in AAA to save the MLB rotation. Kind of a hard standard to live up to. 

We'll see about the farm system.  Most teams in baseball just added more talent in the draft than the Os and we know the story with the international guys.  I imagine we will turn out to be among the bottom three spenders in 2017 on spending for prospect talent.  Difficult to move up prospect ranking when other teams are adding more talent.

We have some strong stories with Mountcastle, Hays and perhaps a few others plus we benefit because Cisco may not graduate.  IMO, best case is borderline bottom third or likely bottom five.  Maybe the Cubs could trade their way to a worse farm system than us.

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Why extend Adam Jones at all? Let him play out his contract thank him for the years and move on. His bat has declined 5 years straight now. From 2012-2017 his wRC+ have been 127,119,117,109,96 and 92.

From a purely analytical standpoint I agree.  That said, Adam's future with the organization will have a lot more to do with his leadership and history with the team.  We saw it and heard from players on the US team during the WBC, his leadership is something that will be given monetary value by MLB organizations.

Archived