Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The rule used to be any trade involving $1M or more had to be approved by the Commissioner's office;  I don't know if that amount has changed.  Given how quickly this deal was announced, and no word that approval was needed, I expect the money coming back to be nominal and we have a net increase in payroll.

You may be right ...but it did take a while from 1st mention 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Orioles1954 said:

It's amazing how "luck" is manifested through consistent ABs.

Take away the first 25 games of his career and he's a sub .700 OPS player with Johnny Damon's arm and Matt Wieters' speed. 

Hes not the first guy that advanced scouting reports caught up to. Ask David Newhan, Howie Clark, Jimmy Parades and Willis Otanez. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We should all be grateful for Kim's luck last year. But it was a fluke. Just like when Jimmy Parades was all world for 2 months. 

Phillies got Parades too for a bit. Didn't they?

6 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

The rule used to be any trade involving $1M or more had to be approved by the Commissioner's office;  I don't know if that amount has changed.  Given how quickly this deal was announced, and no word that approval was needed, I expect the money coming back to be nominal and we have a net increase in payroll.

Maybe the Commissioner's office can do it quicker now by using the instant replay review lines. 

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

We're selling low on Britton, in my opinion.

So what do you think is a good deal looking at their system.

One 100 prospects and 4 of their top 30 isn't enough? Moran was a top 100 prospect until his prospect status was Removed. Remember not all top 30s are created equal.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

We're selling low on Britton, in my opinion.

Whitley is really good, and would be a huge get.  A package centered around Whitley, especially with an MLB ready second piece such as Moran would not be selling low IMO.  Just wait and see where Whitley is ranked at the end of the season, he's a top 25 guy in baseball from what I've seen.  That said, I doubt the Astros will give him up.

To explain: remember how excited we were for Hunter Harvey when he was putting up good numbers in A ball as a 19 year old? Whitley has similar stuff, was better in A ball this year (at age 19) than Harvey was, and now has performed even better in Hi-A as the 2nd youngest pitcher in the league (14.9K/9 and 2.0 BB/9).  Oh, did I mention he was 6' 7".  He's got high ceiling, high floor written all over him.

24 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Whitley is really good, and would be a huge get.  A package centered around Whitley, especially with an MLB ready second piece such as Moran would not be selling low IMO.  Just wait and see where Whitley is ranked at the end of the season, he's a top 25 guy in baseball from what I've seen.  That said, I doubt the Astros will give him up.

To explain: remember how excited we were for Hunter Harvey when he was putting up good numbers in A ball as a 19 year old? Whitley has similar stuff, was better in A ball this year (at age 19) than Harvey was, and now has performed even better in Hi-A as the 2nd youngest pitcher in the league (14.9K/9 and 2.0 BB/9).  Oh, did I mention he was 6' 7".  He's got high ceiling, high floor written all over him.

If we are dealing with Houston that has to be the main piece. If it the Dodgers it has to be Buehler.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

If we are dealing with Houston that has to be the main piece. If it the Dodgers it has to be Buehler.

I'd be absolutely thrilled to get Whitley or Buehler, even if the rest of the package is fringe guys. Whitley is more exciting to me though.

I'd take a lessor headliner in a trade with the Dodgers if it included Keibert Ruiz as a piece, he's another guy you'll hear a lot more about going forward.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hypothetical: Houston doesn't offer Whitley.  The Dodgers don't offer Buehler. But they do offer Verdugo and some secondary pieces.  Do you make that trade or do you hold?

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

I'd be absolutely thrilled to get Whitley or Buehler, even if the rest of the package is fringe guys. Whitley is more exciting to me though.

I'd take a lessor headliner in a trade with the Dodgers if it included Keibert Ruiz as a piece, he's another guy you'll hear a lot more about going forward.

In both deals I was looking to infuse the SP

i would want Buehler, White, one of Oaks/May/Stewart and Heredia

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Hypothetical: Houston doesn't offer Whitley.  The Dodgers don't offer Buehler. But they do offer Verdugo and some secondary pieces.  Do you make that trade or do you hold?

Well I don't think OF is a big need. He may be too good to pass up. 

Verdugo, White, Oaks, and .Heredia ....but I don't think it does enough to help the SP

Not sure if Colorado is looking for bullpen ams, but would a package of Peter Lambert, Garrett Hampson and Yency Almonte be too much or not enough to ask for Brach? Lambert and Hampson are both a in A+ but Almonte is in AAA and may be able to contribute to the rotation next year.

Archived