Caleb Joseph's surge

99ct

I'm very happy for Caleb.   When I went to Fanfest this year, the other players were giving him endless needling about his RBI-less season.     He took it all in fun, but you know it had to be killing him.   He's re-established his value this year and should be in for a nice raise next season after losing in arbitration this winter.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said after his first season that he with regular playing time, he's a valuable starting catcher. The guy knows his pitchers, is like a second coach on the field, and when he gets playing time he can hit decently.

Wieters accepting that one year deal really screwed Caleb and the Orioles. I can see a Caleb/Wynns tandem that would be pretty good both offensively and defensively.

I like Wellington but his salary is 10x that of Caleb's. Wish he had another position he's good at. He served us well early in the season but he's worth dealing for the salary relief and the potentially good pitching he could net us.

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Delmonico!

I realize he has moved on.  OPS of .794 for CWS AAA team.

Great for Joseph.  I think Castillo to the Rockies makes no sense given the presence of Murphy for them, but Milwaukee makes a lot of sense.

Murphy has done nothing so far and he has average stats in the PCL.  If he was a guy they wanted at major league level he would have been up earlier with their struggling production at catchers.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I've said after his first season that he with regular playing time, he's a valuable starting catcher. The guy knows his pitchers, is like a second coach on the field, and when he gets playing time he can hit decently.

Wieters accepting that one year deal really screwed Caleb and the Orioles. I can see a Caleb/Wynns tandem that would be pretty good both offensively and defensively.

I would buy tickets for more games.

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

I like Wellington but his salary is 10x that of Caleb's. Wish he had another position he's good at. He served us well early in the season but he's worth dealing for the salary relief and the potentially good pitching he could net us.

I'll be surprised if he's not moved before the deadline.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you can do worse than Joseph.  He's good defensively.  But he is a 31-year-old with a career .229/.282/.364 slash line.

I'm comfortable with him as the primary backup for as long as he doesn't get expensive and since he didn't debut until 28 that's pretty much his whole career.  I'm less comfortable with him starting unless they're punting the season.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I think you can do worse than Joseph.  He's good defensively.  But he is a 31-year-old with a career .229/.282/.364 slash line.

I'm comfortable with him as the primary backup for as long as he doesn't get expensive and since he didn't debut until 28 that's pretty much his whole career.  I'm less comfortable with him starting unless they're punting the season.

i think you don't give him enough credit defensively and what he does for a pitching staff. I mean grant, there's not much he can do with these guys, but pitchers have always pitched better to him then to any of the "starters". Two years ago he was 2.2 WAR in 100 games. Now I agree that he seems to wear out of playing everyday, but if he ha a decent back up and had a the 65-35 split I'd be fine with that on a competing team.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

i think you don't give him enough credit defensively and what he does for a pitching staff. I mean grant, there's not much he can do with these guys, but pitchers have always pitched better to him then to any of the "starters". 

Not last year (Wieters 3.98 CERA, Joseph 4.28).   But the pitchers did better with Caleb in 2014-15.

Archived