Expansion/Realignment

eddie83

Angelos family would highly oppose this. But if they get outvoted I guess anything could happen. I think the Yanks and Sox wouldnt be fans of being placed in a elite spending division that plays each other 18 games per year. While small market teams do the same. 

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

But wouldnt having the nats, phils, and pirates who are all closer than ny and boston offset that at least partly?  Lots of fans in the i95 corridor (and i70 corridor in the case of the bucs) would turn out even if both teams arent that good.  You're effectively doubling your market size for games against those 3 teams

No. They aren't popular teams. 

Only thing I don't really like is the 4 play in games for the same reason I hate the wildcard game. It should be a 2/3 series which I assume they could do if they are going to reduce the schedule to 156 games. 

Also it would be strange to not play the yankees and the red sox so often. Kind of like when Maryland left the ACC and doesn't really have any rivalries in the Big 10 the way they did with Duke and UNC. 

• Upvote 1

AL East

NYY, Bos, Tor, Bal

AL South 

Hou, TB, TX, KC

AL North

Chi, Minn, Cle, Det

AL West

Sea, LAA, Oak, Portland expansion

NL East 

NYM, Pit, Phil, Montreal expansion

NL South

Atl, Mia, StL, Was

NL North

Chi, Cin, Mil, Col

NL West

LAD, Ari, SF, SD

Best I could think of in terms of limiting travel and keeping AL and NL yet also having expanded playoffs. 4 division winners get in, 3 and 4 play each other while 1 and 2 play winners of 2 different wild card playins. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nite said:

AL East

NYY, Bos, Tor, Bal

AL South 

Hou, TB, TX, KC

AL North

Chi, Minn, Cle, Det

AL West

NL East 

NL South

Atl, Mia, StL, Was

NL North

Chi, Cin, Mil, Col

NL West

LAD, Ari, SF, SD

Best I could think of in terms of limiting travel and keeping AL and NL yet also having expanded playoffs. 4 division winners get in, 3 and 4 play each other while 1 and 2 play winners of 2 different wild card playins. 

Oof....that all makes sense but that would be a horrific division for us. Three teams with plenty of resources, then us. We would struggle immensely.

5 hours ago, Nite said:

AL East

NYY, Bos, Tor, Bal

AL South 

Hou, TB, TX, KC

AL North

Chi, Minn, Cle, Det

AL West

NL East 

NL South

Atl, Mia, StL, Was

NL North

Chi, Cin, Mil, Col

NL West

LAD, Ari, SF, SD

You can't put the Cardinals and Cubs in different divisions. That's akin to splitting up the Yankees and Red Sox. I'd say switch the Cardinals with the Rockies or Reds.

I'm surprised to say... I kind of like this .

Now, I'd want to keep the DH. But I like that you get to play every team at least once a year (I'm a die hard Os fan living in Philly, it seems crazy how infrequently they play here, especially given that whole swaths of southern PA are Os country). I like the one-game wildcard format being expanded to four games, and I like that it addresses some of the player's grievances.  I also have no problem with adding two more teams to the league and the playoffs.

I do wish the two teams being added weren't Portland and Montreal, though. I would love one of the new cities to be south of the border. Mexico City (yea yea elevation...), San Juan, Havana, or Santa Domingo?? Make the World Series more of a "world" series.  I would start looking for flights immediately if any of those cities were getting a team.