Orioles to take another shot at extending Machado per Roch

Roll Tide

Will the Orioles get Manny resigned  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles get Machado signed?

• No ...They are just trying to prevent a fan exodus by saying they tried
    • No, They are going to back up the Brinks truck, but Machado isn't interested in staying
    • Yes...Angela s finally signs off on the big dollars and gets it done
    • Other.....

24 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Arrieta’s ascension to TOR arm is a black eye on the Orioles organization, not because of trading him, but because of how they screwed up his development.

As well it should be. The guy went on to having possibly the most dominant calendar year of pitching ever seen shortly after leaving the organization.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the odds of signing Manny are fairly low, but significantly higher than many other posters think. Angelos has shown repeatedly that he likes giving money to his own players more than FA's from other teams. Davis is a prime example. The O's current "assistant GM" Brady Anderson is another. If Manny wants to be an Oriole for life and is willing to take some deferred money, then there is a decent chance that the O's will sign him to a long-term contract. 

33 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think the odds of signing Manny are fairly low, but significantly higher than many other posters think. Angelos has shown repeatedly that he likes giving money to his own players more than FA's from other teams. Davis is a prime example. The O's current "assistant GM" Brady Anderson is another. If Manny wants to be an Oriole for life and is willing to take some deferred money, then there is a decent chance that the O's will sign him to a long-term contract. 

I don't trust Angelos, DD and or Brady.

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't trust Angelos, DD and or Brady.

That's nice, but not sure what your "trust" has to do with anything. I'm not big fans of them, but whatever you or I think of them Angelos has a history of investing in his "own" players over FA's from other teams. I think it's his idea of loyalty. BTW, I'm personally iffy on a long-term contract for Manny. If he doesn't get hurt then he has a decent chance to be worth whatever contract he gets, but on the other hand everybody gets hurt and the O's could theoretically invest the money more wisely (but we would probably both agree that it's unlikely they would do anything smarter with the money). 

32 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

That's nice, but not sure what your "trust" has to do with anything. I'm not big fans of them, but whatever you or I think of them Angelos has a history of investing in his "own" players over FA's from other teams. I think it's his idea of loyalty. BTW, I'm personally iffy on a long-term contract for Manny. If he doesn't get hurt then he has a decent chance to be worth whatever contract he gets, but on the other hand everybody gets hurt and the O's could theoretically invest the money more wisely (but we would probably both agree that it's unlikely they would do anything smarter with the money). 

I guess what I meant is that I don't trust them to do what's right. The CD contract is a big drag on the team. I don't see how Angelos has money enough to sign Manny. Believe me I wish there was a way to keep Manny. Much rather have Manny than Chris.

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think your assessment is pretty good.  The most important part in my opinion is what Manny wants.  If he doesn't want to be an Oriole it really doesn't matter what he is offered.  If he does, I think the chances are better than most that he is signed.

51 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think your assessment is pretty good.  The most important part in my opinion is what Manny wants.  If he doesn't want to be an Oriole it really doesn't matter what he is offered.  If he does, I think the chances are better than most that he is signed.

It's the LAD, the MFY, or MIA. Who else would want to pay him?  IMO he gets to   to wear ARoid's old number 13.

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

It's the LAD, the MFY, or MIA. Who else would want to pay him?  IMO he gets to   to wear ARoid's old number 13.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct as well.  But we really don't know what Manny wants.  I think you may be correct, but will hope I am wrong.  Still, the issue in my opinion is the deciding factor not whether or not PA will pay him.

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Unfortunately, I think you are correct as well.  But we really don't know what Manny wants.  I think you may be correct, but will hope I am wrong.  Still, the issue in my opinion is the deciding factor not whether or not PA will pay him.

There are three things Manny might want, money, ARod's jersey, or playing at home in MIA. Does he want them more than playing at OPACY  with Schoop?

26 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I had thought Miami would be in the mix, but they aren’t slashing payroll (possible trade of Stanton and others) to take on a behemoth contract a year later.

52 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Yes.   I assume one thing Manny wants is to be paid close to his market value.    He might take a slight discount to stay with the Orioles (or not), but he’s not going to sign for 3/4 of what he’d earn on the market.   Any offer that doesn’t start with a 3 isn’t going anywhere, unless it starts with a 4.    

Archived