Perfect time for Angelos to sell the team?

Frobby

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I have been as critical of Potter as anyone, but I refuse to be just completely wrapped up in the idea that Angelos is the cause of every loss we have ever had and that nothing can ever improve.  We just went through 2012-2016 winning more games than anyone in the AL with the same owner. 

Yes, I would love a change...which is going to happen sooner rather than later as it does to all men on this earth...and I have no idea what kind of owner John Angelos will be. Maybe he will be outstanding, who knows?   If they sell, the fantasy would be that the new owner would be better, although there are plenty of idiot billionaires.  But, yes, I would love to see a new regime top to bottom.   And I hope they change leagues or division. 

Angelos isn't perfect, but he really isn't that bad of an owner. He's kept the Orioles in Baltimore. They very well could have left for another city entirely if it wasn't for him.

He's committed to keeping Camden Yards affordable so that everybody can go to a game. You can go to a game for the price of a movie ticket. He genuinely seems like he cares about the community.

Last year, the Orioles had the 9th highest payroll in baseball and Baltimore is a small market. They had a higher payroll than the Angels and the Mets. Any thought that Angelos doesn't want to spend money is completely fictitious. Maybe that money isn't spent wisely, but it's spent.

I've seen in articles that Angelos is against a rebuild this year because he feels that season ticket holders expect to see a certain team on the field and it would be bad faith to field a weaker team. Maybe not the most sound logic, but the intentions are admirable.

So, I hope he doesn't sell. He isn't the best, but he is not even close to being the worst. Just look at the Marlins. They cheered Loria out of town - and now they have an ownership group that just traded the MVP for very little.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, theocean said:

Angelos isn't perfect, but he really isn't that bad of an owner. He's kept the Orioles in Baltimore. They very well could have left for another city entirely if it wasn't for him.

He's committed to keeping Camden Yards affordable so that everybody can go to a game. You can go to a game for the price of a movie ticket. He genuinely seems like he cares about the community.

Last year, the Orioles had the 9th highest payroll in baseball and Baltimore is a small market. They had a higher payroll than the Angels and the Mets. Any thought that Angelos doesn't want to spend money is completely fictitious. Maybe that money isn't spent wisely, but it's spent.

I've seen in articles that Angelos is against a rebuild this year because he feels that season ticket holders expect to see a certain team on the field and it would be bad faith to field a weaker team. Maybe not the most sound logic, but the intentions are admirable.

So, I hope he doesn't sell. He isn't the best, but he is not even close to being the worst. Just look at the Marlins. They cheered Loria out of town - and now they have an ownership group that just traded the MVP for very little.

xD

Do you honestly think that with a less than two year old OPACY that the Orioles were going anywhere in 1993?

The O's drew 3,644,965 in 1993.

There was zero chance the team was moving, folks were just worried about it since the memories of the Colts leaving were so fresh.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

xD

Do you honestly think that with a less than two year old OPACY that the Orioles were going anywhere in 1993?

There was zero chance the team was moving, folks were just worried about it since the memories of the Colts leaving were so fresh.

I'm not talking about 1993. It's a 25 year old ballpark. Other owners (Of all sports, not just MLB) have threatened to move unless they get a new stadium to replace a stadium that isn't as old...

1 minute ago, theocean said:

I'm not talking about 1993. It's a 25 year old ballpark. Other owners (Of all sports, not just MLB) have threatened to move unless they get a new stadium to replace a stadium that isn't as old...

The O's have not been anything close to a candidate to be moved in the last 25 years.

Exactly one team has moved and that was a unique circumstance.  If the A's and Ray's ain't moving the Orioles wouldn't get approval to be moved.

I don't care if it's 25 years old, MLB isn't going to abandon OPACY.  Would be a huge black eye.

Can we retire the whole Angelos saved the Orioles from moving myth once and for all?  He bought the team in the summer of 1993, the Orioles were already in their second season at Camden Yards.  No owner is going to move a team playing at Camden Yards.

Angelos family shear incompetence has turned fans away.  

If only Bill DeWitt had outbid Angelos.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

xD

Maybe not in 1993 but under EBW from 1979 to 1988 it was a constant drum beat. He repeatedly said they would stay in Baltimore if they were supported. Luccino  (sp?) was looking for suitable land on I95 close to Washington DC. Then the next owner went bankrupt and PA bought them. OPACY did happen under his watch but... it' not so cut and dried.

2 hours ago, theocean said:

But OPACY is still beautiful, great for the fans, well located an iconic.  No owner would want to replace it.  

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Can we retire the whole Angelos saved the Orioles from moving myth once and for all?  He bought the team in the summer of 1993, the Orioles were already in their second season at Camden Yards.  No owner is going to move a team playing at Camden Yards.

Pretty sure that the runner up bid was that guy that ruined not one but two franchises...Jeffrey Loria. 

7 hours ago, theocean said:

I'll go point by point. He kept the Orioles in Baltimore because of the sell outs at CY and he is from Baltimore.

Yes games are affordable. Now ask any longtime O's fan if they would pay a little more for a legitimate WS Contender. If he cares that much lets go looking for a trophy.

I completely agree he spent the money and not very well. Intentions don't win Championships.

Most Season Ticket holders are long term fans and want to see a team capable of winning it all. I don't think they care about a status quo team.

I hope he sells tomorrow. He takes forever to make decisions, has the most stringent medical staff in baseball, and has never taken that last step to win a World Series. Among other things. That's an Owner that is happy with the profits and doesn't really care about winning.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:54 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And if only Larry Luchino didn’t get screwed over 

Archived