Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think if any pitcher is not 100% healthy, it makes all the difference in the world, in their mechanics and which affects their location and velocity (movement on the ball, not necessary speed of pitch).

Very good pickup. 

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Britton's maximum reduction is 30% of last year's salary or 3.42m.    That would make his salary 11.4 times 70% or 7.98m

If a player's salary increased by more than 50% the previous year than his salary can be reduced 30%.   Britton's increase from 20t6 to 2017 was 69%l   so his salary can to reduced  30%.

I expect that because of the reports on his injury that his rehab time will be reduced to 4 months.  That will be April 22nd.     That is when he would start his rehab assignment.  So if he is available to the team by May 22nd he would be available to the O's for just over 4 months.   

I think the O's will pay Britton 7.98m for 4 months of playing time.   So I don't see him being released.

If the O's are out of the race at the trade deadline and Britton is healthy at that point he gets traded.   His remain salary would be 2.66m.   That means the O's would have paid Britton 5.32m for the year.   Seeing the count of pitching that is a gamble worth taking.

Particularly if we are rebuilding (in our own strange way) and we ain't using that money to build a vast international talent feeding infrastructure. I'd rather they spent that money on a wild hair that Britton will be pitching to form in late July than on some pitching equivalent of Marty Cordova.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Let's see.   They weren't happy with the trade offers when he was not 100% last year.   So now, they're going to sign him, hope he comes back by June, goes on rehab, and his pitching enough games by July 31 to get a better deal than they were offered last year.   Good luck with that.    Just cut him and save the 10M and do something good with it.

And do what exactly?  Use it to spend on Cobb?
SwNii5t.jpg

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No Tony, not to spend on Cobb.   If I thought it could be reinvested into something for the future, that would be my first choice.   Second choice is to apply it to something towards the 2018 team.   I don't want to do it but it's either do that or don't spend it at all.    So that 10M will go towards a starter like Vargas or an outfielder like Granderson, or an infielder like Neal Walker, assuming one year contract for Granderson and 1 or 2 for Walker.   Walker's signing depends on Manny ultimately being dealt and him playing 2B or 3B.    Paying Britton 12.2M to not pitch until June or July, and even that's no guarantee, and then to pitch well enough to get something significant back in trade (why should we expect better than last year's offer when the circumstances are likely to be exactly the same, at best?), is a poor allocation of resources.    

But how is that much different than spending 4 mil on someone like Kevin Maitan? I am assuming the goal is to flip Britton for something of some future value.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No Tony, not to spend on Cobb.   If I thought it could be reinvested into something for the future, that would be my first choice.   Second choice is to apply it to something towards the 2018 team.   I don't want to do it but it's either do that or don't spend it at all.    So that 10M will go towards a starter like Vargas or an outfielder like Granderson, or an infielder like Neal Walker, assuming one year contract for Granderson and 1 or 2 for Walker.   Walker's signing depends on Manny ultimately being dealt and him playing 2B or 3B.    Paying Britton 12.2M to not pitch until June or July, and even that's no guarantee, and then to pitch well enough to get something significant back in trade (why should we expect better than last year's offer when the circumstances are likely to be exactly the same, at best?), is a poor allocation of resources.    

I was attempting to be sarcastic (Wayne's World was a clue).  Give Britton $$ for starting pitching. 

Let's give an extreme best case scenario, Britton returns in June and is lights out, rebuilding his trade value.  The Orioles have 2 options: 1)The Orioles trade him in July.  After having the sunk cost of $8M in salary for 1.5 months of production, what exactly could the Orioles hope to get in return for 2+ months of Britton to come out ahead?   2) The Orioles keep Britton all season, and make a QO, which Boras will recommend that he decline to test the market. $12.2M for 3+ months in another non-playoff year. 

I don't see the benefits outweighing the drawbacks with either of those options.  Tell me where I'm wrong.

14 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I was attempting to be sarcastic (Wayne's World was a clue).  Give Britton $$ for starting pitching. 

Let's give an extreme best case scenario, Britton returns in June and is lights out, rebuilding his trade value.  The Orioles have 2 options: 1)The Orioles trade him in July.  After having the sunk cost of $8M in salary for 1.5 months of production, what exactly could the Orioles hope to get in return for 2+ months of Britton to come out ahead?   2) The Orioles keep Britton all season, and make a QO, which Boras will recommend that he decline to test the market. $12.2M for 3+ months in another non-playoff year. 

I don't see the benefits outweighing the drawbacks with either of those options.  Tell me where I'm wrong.

I think the return threshold should be set at something like the cost controlled talent we have in 2019 or 2020. I am also assuming that the money floating around this baseball year more or less needs to be spent this baseball year. I think your sarcastic post might be right on.  What else exactly are we spending it on? Besides spending it on Zach, what else are we going to spend it on between now and April that might help us in 2020?

https://dodgersway.com/2017/12/21/dodgers-should-consider-buying-low-on-zach-britton/

Archived