Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects (2018)

wildbillhiccup

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Here is a blurb from the chat on Chance Sisco (question I asked because I was curious about BA's take on his defense).

Luke (Virginia): I've heard some people question whether Chance Sisco will stick behind the plate, what's your take?

Kyle Glaser: Sisco made a lot of strides in his receiving, blocking and game-calling this year. He’s better back there than he gets credit for. However, his throwing went backwards, and if you can’t control the run game, you’re a liability back there. So…I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he can stick, but he’s got to improve his throwing (or at least get it back to where it was)

Read more at https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-top-100-mlb-prospects-chat/#GrIBe3PMd5MCOa3M.99

Hopefully he can stick behind the plate. Otherwise, if he has to play 1B or 3B, he'll be James Loney - which is fine, but ain't great.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good thing about these guys is that they are all 22 and under. Plus they’re in the upper minors/mlb. 

Finally some national recognition. The system’s biggest flaw is SP beyond A-ball. I would imagine that DL Hall, Harvey, our first rd pick in 2018 draft, and some other arms, have a chance to be on this list next year. Guys like Mullins, Santander, and Stewart, could sneak onto the list during the year. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The good thing about these guys is that they are all 22 and under. Plus they’re in the upper minors/mlb. 

Finally some national recognition. The system’s biggest flaw is SP beyond A-ball. I would imagine that DL Hall, Harvey, our first rd pick in 2018 draft, and some other arms, have a chance to be on this list next year. Guys like Mullins, Santander, and Stewart, could sneak onto the list during the year. 

I think the only way Santander can make this list would be as an Indian prospect after we return him.  If we keep him for the 44 or so days required to eliminate the rule 5 restrictions, he would probably lose his rookie status, wouldn't he?

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I think the only way Santander can make this list would be as an Indian prospect after we return him.  If we keep him for the 44 or so days required to eliminate the rule 5 restrictions, he would probably lose his rookie status, wouldn't he?

Yes, but he still has his rookie status now and is still on the Orioles' 40-man so he's technically an Orioles prospect by definition. That said, he'll have to have graduated or be back in Cleveland by year's end.

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Yes, but he still has his rookie status now and is still on the Orioles' 40-man so he's technically an Orioles prospect by definition. That said, he'll have to have graduated or be back in Cleveland by year's end.

He's not on the list now.  The poster I was responded to was discussing the possibility of Santander sneaking onto the list during the season.  My point is that if he were to do that, it would almost have to be as an Indian, since if he remains with the Orioles he would almost surely lose his rookie status.  Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

On 1/22/2018 at 11:45 AM, Fuzzball22 said:

Did this on my own so not sure how accurate it is. Number of top 100 for AL East teams.

Balt 3

Bost 2

NY 5

Tor 4

TB 6

Based on what the media says about the yankees farm system I thought they would have 20 players on the list.

I think the Yankees’ farm system is frequently over rated. Likely because they’re the Yankees.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

2018 KATOH Top 100

Interesting:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-top-100-katoh-prospects/

56  D.J. Stewart

60  Tanner Scott

74  Austin Hays

78  Zac Lowther

85 Chance Sisco

First reaction is woah.  Looking at it and knowing how KOTAH works (projecting WAR in first six years) A lot of decent, nothing amazing, which backs up why the Orioles farm is seen as bad but is probably underrated.

That's also why mountcastle and hall don't appear.

Archived