Does Adam Jones Want to Stay Here Past 2018?

TonySoprano

Is he open to staying if approached?

“They haven’t,” he said, “so therefore it’s hard to speak in hypotheticals in this game and I don’t like to speak in hypotheticals, as you know.”

But is he open to it?

“They haven’t come to me and talked to me,” he said, “so go ask Mr. (Dan) Duquette.”

Does he want to stay?

“Go ask Mr. Duquette,” he said. “I knew that was going to be a question. You have to ask their side.”

“The money is great. It’s phenomenal when you’re able to take care of your family and extended family and so on, but the individual and the competitiveness inside the individual wants to win and if I’m not in a winning environment, you could throw ... Well, you could throw a certain amount of money, but it would take a lot just to tell me that I’m going to lose. That’s not how it works for me.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/adam-jones-on-lack-of-contract-talks-and-free-agency.html

I think the answer comes down to how this season goes and the direction beyond.   He's set for life financially.  It's clear he wants no part of being on a non-competitive team.  Duquette signed him to his current deal on May 27, 2012.  Having said that, I fully expect that if Adam stays, it will be a deal that Peter Angelos negotiates personally.   Instead of repeatedly asking, "Go ask Mr. Duquette" he should be asking "Go ask Mr. Angelos."

Adam's wife has given him "a few options" where they can go next.

I can’t think of any wife who would say ‘no’ to New York over Baltimore and that’s where it goes. You go to the wife. It’s not just the players anymore. We’ll see.”

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/01/adam-jones-on-lack-of-contract-talks-and-free-agency.html

I think the answer comes down to how this season goes and the direction beyond.   He's set for life financially.  It's clear he wants no part of being on a non-competitive team.  It was Duquette that signed him to his current deal on May 27, 2012.  Having said that, I fully expect that if Adam stays, it will be a deal that Peter Angelos negotiates personally.   Instead of repeatedly asking, "Go ask Mr. Duquette" he should be asking "Go ask Mr. Angelos."

Unless he's talking about the Mets, I don't think Jones is going to be playing in New York.

I say let him go somewhere else. Other posters have pointed out the number of OF prospects the O's have, so there's no reason to compound the stupidity involved in the Davis re-signing by re-signing Jones.

22 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I think the answer comes down to how this season goes and the direction beyond.   He's set for life financially.  It's clear he wants no part of being on a non-competitive team.  Duquette signed him to his current deal on May 27, 2012.  Having said that, I fully expect that if Adam stays, it will be a deal that Peter Angelos negotiates personally.   Instead of repeatedly asking, "Go ask Mr. Duquette" he should be asking "Go ask Mr. Angelos."

I agree, he wants no part of a rebuild.  

8 minutes ago, panick said:

Unless he's talking about the Mets, I don't think Jones is going to be playing in New York.

I say let him go somewhere else. Other posters have pointed out the number of OF prospects the O's have, so there's no reason to compound the stupidity involved in the Davis re-signing by re-signing Jones.

The Yankees would sign him in a heartbeat.

Seems pretty doggone clear.

Face of the franchise....sounds like there hasn't been a single discussion regarding an extension....Manny's got one foot out the door....no pitching in a division with the Yanks and Red Sox.

So....yeah. He gone.

1 hour ago, CP0861 said:

Seems pretty doggone clear.

Face of the franchise....sounds like there hasn't been a single discussion regarding an extension....Manny's got one foot out the door....no pitching in a division with the Yanks and Red Sox.

So....yeah. He gone.

Face of the franchise...except this interview shows clearly he doesn’t see that much value to him personally in being a lifetime Oriole (his Mariner rookie season aside) and neither does management.  Not that I blame Adam at all, but all that “face of the franchise” stuff is PR that evaporates pretty easily when free agency pops up, imho.  

Did not hear from Adam... “I want to be an Oriole the rest of my career.  I love Baltimore and its fans.  Mr. Angelos has been great to me and my family and I am sure we can work something out.”     Have not heard anything like that from Duquette or Angelos either.    “Adam has been the mainstay of our team.  He is Mr. Oriole for many fans and we are going to do everything to make him an Oriole for life.” 

again, not that I would want to stay here either given the storm coming if there were better options.  But I  probably would dial back  the “face of the franchise”  stuff a little bit.

2 hours ago, panick said:

Well I hate to see AJ go to another team. I hope he can play RF. Maybe two year contract. I hope he retires an Oriole. 

Archived