Does Adam Jones Want to Stay Here Past 2018?

TonySoprano

Jones will want to play Cf on a contender.

So first, for him to return there has to be some hope for contention in 2019-2020. Not impossible, but not looking great.

Second, either the O's will have to offer him Cf again, or he has to struggle to find a Cf offer from a contender elsewhere.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Jones will want to play Cf on a contender.

So first, for him to return there has to be some hope for contention in 2018-2019. Not impossible, but not looking great.

Second, either the O's will have to offer him Cf again, or he has to struggle to find a Cf offer from a contender elsewhere.

I think he's backing himself into a corner there, but that's probably his thought process.

He may have to come to the realization that the market will tell him to a) play CF for a non-contender or b) play RF or even 4th OF for a contender.  Because this contract at his age ain't like the last contract he signed.

• 3 weeks later...

I get his sentiment and Manny’s too. It’s of course a balance between winning but also squeezing as much as they want out of each contract opportunity.

Seems like Adam cares a lot about Baltimore and about things outside of baseball. He’s good to have on the team but at the right price and position. I agree he’s not playing CF for a winner at 35.

DD ought to put three contracts on the table for Manny, Schoop, and AJ with a 28 March expiration.

Manny 10 years $27OM

Schoop 5 years $85M (cribbing from Milewski article terms)

AJ 3/4 years $TBD.

Thats plenty of money and an opportunity to play and win together if they produce.

It wouldnt hurt to do it the day after they signed Cobb or Lynn.

11 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

I get his sentiment and Manny’s too. It’s of course a balance between winning but also squeezing as much as they want out of each contract opportunity.

Seems like Adam cares a lot about Baltimore and about things outside of baseball. He’s good to have on the team but at the right price and position. I agree he’s not playing CF for a winner at 35.

DD ought to put three contracts on the table for Manny, Schoop, and AJ with a 28 March expiration.

Manny 10 years $27OM

Schoop 5 years $85M (cribbing from Milewski article terms)

AJ 3/4 years $TBD.

Thats plenty of money and an opportunity to play and win together if they produce.

It wouldnt hurt to do it the day after they signed Cobb or Lynn.

So a 200M payroll with a small market and declining attendance?

I have the feeling we are going to be VERY bad in 2019.   It's a shame.   I think, with the right moves over the last two offseasons, we could have been looking at a down year this year, with hope for 2019.

AJ could have been the leader to keep around to provide stability.  Looks like that ain't happening.

Bottom line, Adam isn’t going to want to be the “stability guy” for a rebuild.    If he senses the Orioles are still making best efforts to compete and have a puncher’s chance, he might want to stay.   Otherwise, adios.

As for me, bring on Hays, Mullins, Stewart and Santander and wish Adam luck on whatever competing team pays him the most.    We need to take advantage of the fact that we have a lot of cheap outfield talent, and spend elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bottom line, Adam isn’t going to want to be the “stability guy” for a rebuild.    If he senses the Orioles are still making best efforts to compete and have a puncher’s chance, he might want to stay.   Otherwise, adios.

As for me, bring on Hays, Mullins, Stewart and Santander and wish Adam luck on whatever competing team pays him the most.    We need to take advantage of the fact that we have a lot of cheap outfield talent, and spend elsewhere.

He'll be 33 turning 34 next year. He knows he only has so much more time in the game left. He wants to win. If I were him, I'd want the same thing too.

I know everyone on this board is a smart baseball fan and enjoys looking into prospects - but I think most people are WAY too high on Hays, Mullins, Stewart, and Santander. I think Hays will be solid, but they all very easily could not be very good. I don't understand why everyone wants to push beloved veterans who've played for this franchise for ten years out the door in favor of some B-level prospects. 

What's the end game there? Have a team loaded with cheap players so then the O's have enough payroll space to sign other expensive veterans? I think enough people have demonstrated on here that big free agent deals for starting pitchers almost never work out.

44 minutes ago, waroriole said:

So a 200M payroll with a small market and declining attendance?

They're under $120M right now if I'm reading the numbers correctly. 

Already paying Manny $16M and Schoop $8.5 from arbitration decisions. Those contracts bump payroll up by $20M this year. If Jones got a raise on the existing year as part of an extension it might be $3-4M. 

After 2019 as it stands, Davis is the only long term contract.  Some of the young cheap guys need to pan out in any scenario.

You're right about the market size but winning can fix the attendance.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They retained Hardy, O'Day, Davis and Trumbo how did that work out?

Correct. They also extended Jones and Markakis. Those were good extensions. It's not about the ability to retain, it's about retaining the right ones and cutting bait with or trading those who aren't.

1 minute ago, theocean said:

He'll be 33 turning 34 next year. He knows he only has so much more time in the game left. He wants to win. If I were him, I'd want the same thing too.

I know everyone on this board is a smart baseball fan and enjoys looking into prospects - but I think most people are WAY too high on Hays, Mullins, Stewart, and Santander. I think Hays will be solid, but they all very easily could not be very good. I don't understand why everyone wants to push beloved veterans who've played for this franchise for ten years out the door in favor of some B-level prospects. 

What's the end game there? Have a team loaded with cheap players so then the O's have enough payroll space to sign other expensive veterans? I think enough people have demonstrated on here that big free agent deals for starting pitchers almost never work out.

I guess I’m higher on the young outfielders than you.   And I’m probably lower on what Jones will do at age 33+.

I think only Hays has a shot to be as good as Jones was in his prime, and it’s not certain he’ll be that good.   But Jones isn’t in his prime anymore.    I’d rather give the younger guys a shot.    And yes, I do love Adam.  If the team does need to rebuild, he won’t be happy here and will be a waste of money. I’d rather use his money to keep Schoop here, or extend Gausman or Bundy.   

Archived