Cashner signing

jcaponio

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, we still need one more solid starter ........ hopefully Cobb or Lynn.

I can deal with 4 solid starters and the proverbial "wing-and-a-prayer" for the 5th spot.

2 solid starting pitchers in a 5-man rotation is awful, as we saw last year.

3 solid starting pitchers in a 5-man rotation is still pretty seriously lacking, in terms of expecting to be a bonafide contender.

4 solid starting pitchers in a 5-man rotation is very doable in terms of contending for a playoff berth, even in a tough divisions such as the AL East.

o

o

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER

ANDREW BURTON CASHNER

o

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

"Appropriate" is the word that comes to mind here.

I have little to add to what has already been said -- I am in the boat with the people wanting another SP signing before we get our hopes up.  A signing that pushes Cashner to the #4 spot.

I'm predicting the rotation is this: Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Tillman and Castro.  That is not a playoff team and probably not even a .500 team.  I don't get this strategy, just rebuild if the best pitcher being added to the team is Cashner.  

1) Andrew Cashner's ground ball percentage last year was 48.6%.

2) Jaime Garcia' ground ball percentage last year was 69.1%. 

3) It appears the Oriole's could have signed Garcia for roughly the same dollar amount to a one year deal. 

Those are the facts. Whoever is making the call on the FAs (Duqette, Brady, etc.) sure doesn't seem to know what they're doing. 

Cashner's BABIP is unsustainable, but given that he has not lost velocity, look at his three-year numbers, which include a disappointing 2016. (source: baseball-reference.com). Nothing spectacular, but at the price he signed, no one should be jumping off the ledge. This team needs SP innings.

Year Tm W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
2015-2017 SDP,MIA,TEX 22 38 .367 4.26 87 86 1 0 0 0 483.1 498 269 229 53 190 5 363 22 1 16 2096 97 4.38 1.423 9.3 1.0 3.5 6.8 1.91

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm predicting the rotation is this: Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Tillman and Castro.  That is not a playoff team and probably not even a .500 team.  I don't get this strategy, just rebuild if the best pitcher being added to the team is Cashner.  

Winner winner chicken dinner. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Deferred
Minus 6m deferred from Davis
Minus 1m deferred from O’Day
Minus 1.5m deferred from Trumbo
Minus 3m deferred from Cashner
11.5m total Deferred
121.725m

I think we have deferred money from past years that either (1) is payable to the player this year or (2) has to be put into escrow this year per the CBA.   Ubaldo, for example, had $2.25 mm deferred each year.    I don’t know for how long the deferral is.   However, if not payable now, the $2.25 mm from 2016 would be going into escrow this summer, along with Davis’ $7 mm from 2016, O’Day’s $1 mm from 2016, etc. (there may have been 1-2 others I’m forgetting).

Andrew Cashner is terrible.  Glad they are going all in for 2018...only took 4 months to sign this guy....wow, am I thrilled!  Of course, Dan is the same guy who told us how great Feldman, Ubaldo, Miley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright, Gallardo, etc were going to be...and he is such a great assessor of pitching talent, why would I doubt him when he happy faces this guy too? 

I am disgusted with this organization at the moment and probably am going to  just minimize my expectations until the ownership changes. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

3) It appears the Oriole's could have signed Garcia for roughly the same dollar amount to a one year deal. 

Those are the facts. Whoever is making the call on the FAs (Duqette, Brady, etc.) sure doesn't seem to know what they're doing. 

Did the Orioles even talk to Garcia.  This is unforgivable.  If Garcia didn't have any interest fine, but please tell me the O's reached out to him.  

4 minutes ago, gtown said:

Cashner's BABIP is unsustainable, but given that he has not lost velocity, look at his three-year numbers, which include a disappointing 2016. (source: baseball-reference.com). Nothing spectacular, but at the price he signed, no one should be jumping off the ledge. This team needs SP innings.

Year Tm W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W
2015-2017 SDP,MIA,TEX 22 38 .367 4.26 87 86 1 0 0 0 483.1 498 269 229 53 190 5 363 22 1 16 2096 97 4.38 1.423 9.3 1.0 3.5 6.8 1.91

Plus Cashner walked almost as many batters as he struck out.  

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Or, Garcia preferred to sign with Toronto and not pitch in Camden Yards.  A lot of factors play into and it may not be as simple as you paint it.

• Upvote 1

Tough to be angry about this one. Sure, he is highly unlikely to post a 3.40 again, but if he is anywhere in that universe, it’s a good deal. I got it, peripherals ain’t pretty and regression is likely, it’s just tough to defend pissing and moaning about 2/16 for this guy. Worst case scenario is he totally sucks and we’re out 8 a year. Meh. Add one more legitimate ML pitcher and we at least can dream about being decent lol.