Cashner signing

jcaponio

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

"Said Cashner: “I don’t think it’s been difficult. It’s been interesting, it’s been different. I met with Brady back in November and we’ve had dialogue ever since. He’s reached out to me and I’ve reached out to him and I think the communication’s been great throughout the whole process.” "

Yeah, seems this was totally a Brady move.

Brady is our ghost GM

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree, but don't you think if the O's have seen him throw (which they have) and he had his old mechanics back that the O's would have given him a MLB deal?

Maybe the O's think the market is just so depressed and Tillman was so bad last year, they just don't have to?

5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Haven't read the entire thread, but the incentive structure is pretty creative.  Many are easily achievable, but it protects the team from injury and creates incentives to not run him out there if he struggles unlike 8 figure starters in the the past.

What are the incentives? I haven't seen them reported.  I know about the vesting/player option at 340/360 IP, but that's all I've heard.  

2 minutes ago, murph said:

Maybe the O's think the market is just so depressed and Tillman was so bad last year, they just don't have to?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if you can get a guy for a  ml deal you do it.

Yeah, I guess, but if you think a guy is back to where he was the previous 4 solid seasons and have rotation holes, I'd find it hard to believe you'd risk it.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

What are the incentives? I haven't seen them reported.  I know about the vesting/player option at 340/360 IP, but that's all I've heard.  

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/orioles-deal-with-andrew-cashner-is-official.html

Sounds like they are start and IP based:

250k for starts 10 and 15. 625k for start 20. 400k for start 30.

250k for 110  and 120 IP. 275k for 130. $350 for 140. $750k for 150. 400k for 170, 180, 190, 200 IP.

So, if my math is correct, he would have earned $3M in incentives based on last year's numbers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been in favor of signing Cashner from the beginning and after hearing three interviews with him tonight I think our fans will like him a lot.  Very positive guy and for him to fly right in today and then have to go back home on Sunday and turn around and come right back is special.  H e could have waited until Sunday to fly in and taken his time but didn't.  I like him a lot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Tillman, Cortes/Castro

Brach, Givens, O’day, Castro/Cortes, Bleier, Wright, Mesa Jr. 

I think that is who we go to battle with.  Maybe I’m just ready for baseball, but I like our guys  

That's not going to be nearly good enough to cut it in the AL East, unless we have an elite offense AND an elite defense behind them.  And it's unlikely either of them are even above average.  

Still, this would be fine if we decide to trade Manny and go all in for a rebuild.  Cashner's innings-based incentives make me thing he's primarily here to protect against Harvey or another too-young minor-league from being prematurely brought up.