Who Drops Off The 40 Man? (2018 Edition)

Can_of_corn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Not so sure that Britton goes on the 60 day DL. He seems to believe he will be back in May.

Season starts March 29.

March 29 + 60 days is May 28.   Memorial Day vs the Nats, T-shirt day.   I already have tickets.

And can you actually start the DL clock before Opening Day by a few days, I believe?

I seriously doubt he'd be ready (including completing a minor league rehab) before late May.   I still see him as a 60 day DL candidate.

But probably not now.   Probably at the end of camp when we need to promote someone like Ruben Tejada to the 40 man to be our utility guy.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's hard to see us keeping all 3 Rule Vs plus Santander.   Araujo certainly has gotten the least hype so far.

I am not saying the Orioles will keep him or any of the rule 5 picks. I think they will want to look at him and the others rather than return them already. They have a few options who are likely not to be claimed. I think Vielma is the least likely of all to be claimed.

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

40. Brugman (Gentry makes him redundant)

39. Velma (just a MILB Util guy)

38. Kelly RHP

Thats how I would handicap the bottom of the 40 man. People named a lot of arms with options so far. You just don’t DFA those guys. Especially when you have a 5th OF type on the 40 man like Brugman. 

That's not bad though you will need a roster spot for a utility player.  So maybe Vielma and then Araujo right before Opening Day.

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

40. Brugman (Gentry makes him redundant)

39. Velma (just a MILB Util guy)

38. Kelly RHP

Thats how I would handicap the bottom of the 40 man. People named a lot of arms with options so far. You just don’t DFA those guys. Especially when you have a 5th OF type on the 40 man like Brugman. 

Brugman is a similar player and a better fit than Rickard (because LH), if he gets DFAed it'll be later in camp when they think they can slip him through waivers.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Brugman is a similar player and a better fit than Rickard (because LH), if he gets DFAed it'll be later in camp when they think they can slip him through waivers.

Rickard has 3 options though. Brugman has one. Brugman is just a AAA guy. Depth guy. Nothing wrong with that. But we have a slew of young OF’s and Brugman is now behind Gentry. Why keep him on the 40 man?  

I don’t see us giving up any arms until during ST at the earliest. Then it will probably start with offering the rule 5 guys back. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Rickard has 3 options though. Brugman has one. Brugman is just a AAA guy. Depth guy. Nothing wrong with that. But we have a slew of young OF’s and Brugman is now behind Gentry. Why keep him on the 40 man?  

I don’t see us giving up any arms until during ST at the earliest. Then it will probably start with offering the rule 5 guys back. 

Brugman has 2 options, being a replacement level major league player doesn't make Rickard established IMO.  Not high on Brugman at all, but I greatly prefer him over Gentry and I think it's a toss up with Rickard.

Archived