Manny: “Thank God I wasn’t traded.”

Frobby

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, survivedc said:

Whether or not it should have been, I wouldn't call last year a rebuilding season.

Further, we have 2 or 3 impact prospects that could fill glaring holes this year and next.

The point was that just because Manny is on the team it wouldn't make them a contender.

You know what is more painful than a rebuild?  Not rebuilding when you should.

Just now, Todd-O said:

I have to say... I am over Manny Machado.

I hope the O's can trade him for some value.  

I’ll never be over Manny.   The fact that he’s not going to be a long-term Oriole kills me, and it’s my belief that the team could have signed him long-term and blew the opportunity.   

That said, I’m not someone who believes that a team has to have one particular player to compete.   If they can make the team better long term by trading him, they should do it.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’ll never be over Manny.   The fact that he’s not going to be a long-term Oriole kills me, and it’s my belief that the team could have signed him long-term and blew the opportunity.   

That said, I’m not someone who believes that a team has to have one particular player to compete.   If they can make the team better long term by trading him, they should do it.   

I always liked Eddie Murray. Always. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm telling you, he never wanted to sign a long term deal with us. Never. He's always had eyes for the spotlight / a bigger market. As much as I want to pin this on the Orioles the only blame I'm willing to give them is if they let him walk and get noting in return. That would be unforgivable and vintage Orioles. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm telling you, he never wanted to sign a long term deal with us. Never. He's always had eyes for the spotlight / a bigger market. As much as I want to pin this on the Orioles the only blame I'm willing to give them is if they let him walk and get noting in return. That would be unforgivable and vintage Orioles. 

I don't blame him.

Not like he had a choice where he was drafted. 

He's done his time he can leave if he wants and I won't have any ill will unless he bad mouths folks on the way out.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The point was that just because Manny is on the team it wouldn't make them a contender.

You know what is more painful than a rebuild?  Not rebuilding when you should.

Point well taken and no doubt about the second one. I'm of the mind that the team is better set up with young players in 2019 than 2017 and if Manny is still here there is an outside shot at a quality team.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't blame him.

Not like he had a choice where he was drafted. 

He's done his time he can leave if he wants and I won't have any ill will unless he bad mouths folks on the way out.

I'm not blaming him for anything. In the same vein the Orioles owe him absolutely nothing and that's why he should be traded. But he won't be, because they're the Orioles and they do the opposite of the right thing. 

6 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Point well taken and no doubt about the second one. I'm of the mind that the team is better set up with young players in 2019 than 2017 and if Manny is still here there is an outside shot at a quality team.

If I felt at all comfortable about the pitching I would agree with you.

24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We know they had discussions several years ago and came pretty close.   Why, if he didn’t want to be here?    And I can pretty much guarantee you that if we could see what he was asking for at the time, we’d think the O’s were nuts not to give it to him.

He’s been eligible for arbitration three times.   All three times, he settled for a reasonable number, without much fuss or muss.

He’s said he’d be happy to play his whole career in Baltimore many times.   Sure, that may be empty PR, but he could have just stayed silent on the subject, as many do.

So, I put it on the Orioles that they didn’t lock him up while the opportunity was there.   It’s probably not there now.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We know they had discussions several years ago and came pretty close.   Why, if he didn’t want to be here?    And I can pretty much guarantee you that if we could see what he was asking for at the time, we’d think the O’s were nuts not to give it to him.

He’s been eligible for arbitration three times.   All three times, he settled for a reasonable number, without much fuss or muss.

He’s said he’d be happy to play his whole career in Baltimore many times.   Sure, that may be empty PR, but he could have just stayed silent on the subject, as many do.

So, I put it on the Orioles that they didn’t lock him up while the opportunity was there.   It’s probably not there now.   

It is one of those boldy aggressive moves that either work out really well for the team or can be a killer if it gies south.   Essentially the play was really pushing with the highest offer extension while he was rehabbing from his second knee surgery.  But they didn’t and he should have been traded last offseason, or at the deadline or already this offseason and now there is only one opportunity left to trade him AND every other team that might want him knows it.  Might as well keep him now because trade at the deadline he will return very little, imho. . 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is one of those boldy aggressive moves that either work out really well for the team or can be a killer if it gies south.   Essentially the play was really pushing with the highest offer extension while he was rehabbing from his second knee surgery.  But they didn’t and he should have been traded last offseason, or at the deadline or already this offseason and now there is only one opportunity left to trade him AND every other team that might want him knows it.  Might as well keep him now because trade at the deadline he will return very little, imho. . 

His value at the deadline will be set by contending teams that think he's enough of an upgrade at SS to put them over the top. Will there be such teams? We'll see. 

I hate when players say “there are some things that are out of my jurisdiction, out of my hands. “  B.S. Manny, you could get big bucks, but not top dollar, to stay in Baltimore.  Everyone knows the economics in Baltimore, big Pete can't and won't outbid NYY.  Manny, if you choose to sell to the top bidder than it’s all on you pal, your decision.  That's your right, Manny,  and if it's NYY, little Kenny Rosenthal, Boras' PR man -Heyman, and all rest of the media will love you for it.  Do me a favor; don't tell me you have no control over the situation.

Archived