Alex Cobb Once Saved a Stray Dog that was Running in Traffic

OFFNY

12 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

I mean, he doesn't exactly have much room to talk given how bad he was for the first half of the season.

I give him a pass since he missed Spring Training.  (not an excuse per say, but it makes sense how bad he was).  

43 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Cobb is gonna snap.  He's pitching well and the team is letting him down.

That said, I thought yesterday's game was perfect...

Good starting pitching.  The guys who will be here played well.  Two unearned runs due to the Davis albatross.  And we lost the game to maintain a tie for the #1 pick.  More games like this please. 

Plus it ended early, @Tony-OH got to snap at Villar's lack of hustle, Schoopie had two E's and Hader got the L.  What's not to like?  ?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Cobb is gonna snap. He's pitching well and the team is letting him down.

That said, I thought that yesterday's game was perfect ........

Good starting pitching. The guys who will be here played well. Two unearned runs, due to the Davis albatross. And we lost the game to maintain a tie for the #1 pick. More games like this, please. 

29 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

I mean, he doesn't exactly have much room to talk, given how bad he was for the first half of the season.

o

Yes, I believe that Cobb is not particularly upset about getting a no-decision last night ........ the fact that he has had 5 consecutive solid outings after the number of atrocious starts that he had previously sustained has to be much more important to him than whether or not he got a W in his stat chart. 

Prior to his recent 5-game streak of solid outings, 7 out of his first 16 starts were disastrous ........ so if I were Cobb, I would be much more relieved about the fact that I was pitching like the person that I was brought here to pitch like than the fact that I missed out on a chance for a W yesterday (or any other game in which he pitched well and either got an L or a no-decision for his efforts.)

o

Was looking at Cobb's game log compared to our other main SPs for the year. They're all fairly close in how often they've given us a chance to win, and as of today they've made the same number of starts:

Quality Starts

Bundy 12/21

Cobb 11/21

Gausman 11/21

Cashner 10/21

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Was looking at Cobb's game log compared to our other main SPs for the year. They're all fairly close in how often they've given us a chance to win, and as of today they've made the same number of starts:

Quality Starts

Bundy 12/21

Cobb 11/21

Gausman 11/21

Cashner 10/21

Hess/Yefry/Yac/Tillman/Wright/Castro combined are 5/29

Ouch.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I was looking at Cobb's game log compared to our other main SP's for the year.

They're all fairly close in how often they've given us a chance to win, and as of today they've made the same number of starts:

Quality Starts

Bundy 12/21

Cobb 11/21

Gausman 11/21

Cashner 10/21

o

Thanks for that info.

I like quality starts as a general marker, and have used it as a reference when opining on the subject of the team's 2017 starting pitching vs. the team's 2018 starting pitching.

I also like to look a little deeper than just that raw statistic, though.

For example, Cashner had a game in which he threw 4 shutout innings earlier this season, and was removed from the game because of a rain delay. That goes into the books as a non-quality start, but he gave the team a reasonable chance to win the game with his outing.

He also had an outing more recently in which he pitched 5.67 Innings and ceded only 1 Run ........ to me, that is also another example of giving your team a reasonable chance to win a game (even though it goes into the books as a non-quality start.)

o

27 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Hess/Yefry/Yac/Tillman/Wright/Castro combined are 5/29

Ouch.

And four of those were Hess in his first five starts. The other one was Tillman's one good start in April. So we haven't had a QS from our 5th starter (and now that Gausman is gone,  our current options for 4th or 5th starter) in more than two months.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Hess/Yefry/Yacabonis/Tillman/Wright/Castro combined are 5/29.

Ouch.

25 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

And four of those were Hess in his first five starts. The other one was Tillman's one good start in April. 

So we haven't had a QS from our 5th starter (and now that Gausman is gone, our current options for 4th or 5th starter) in more than two months.

o

More good info.

Thanks.

Last year, the Orioles had 2 spots in the starting rotation that were reasonably good and/or at least decent (Bundy and Gausman.

This season, the Orioles (prior to the departure of Gausman) had 4 spots in the starting rotation that were reasonably good and/or at least decent ........ unfortunately, everything else around it fell apart (the offense, the defense, and the bullpen.)

o

On 8/8/2018 at 1:42 PM, OFFNY said:

o

More good info.

Thanks.

Last year, the Orioles had 2 spots in the starting rotation that were reasonably good and/or at least decent (Bundy and Gausman.

This season, the Orioles (prior to the departure of Gausman) had 4 spots in the starting rotation that were reasonably good and/or at least decent ........ unfortunately, everything else around it fell apart (the offense, the defense, and the bullpen.)

o

Cobb is a decent pitcher, but I wouldn’t say he’s been decent this year.    

On 8/8/2018 at 1:42 PM, OFFNY said:

o

More good info.

Thanks.

o

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cobb is a decent pitcher, but I wouldn’t say he’s been decent this year.    

o

That's true, to take his entire season of work and call it "decent" is a stretch, although his amount of non-disastrous starts (14 out of 21 overall, and 14 out of 18 if you subtract his first 3 starts because he had no Spring Training to work with) is relatively decent. 

Last year, if Bundy or Gausman were not starting, we pretty much knew that a decent outing would be a surprise (and essentially a gift.) I haven't had that same dreadful feeling this year when Cashner and Cobb (minus his first 3 starts) were starting.

o

o

This was Cobb's 6th consecutive solid outing. 

In that span he has ceded 9 Earned Runs over 37.33 Innings pitched, for an ERA of 2.17.

81% of the outs that Cobb recorded (17 out of 21) came via the Strikeouts and the Groundout. 

21 OUTS: )  10 Groundouts7 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

ALEXANDER MILLER COBB )))))))) (vs. RED SOX, 8/12)

IP:ll7

H:lllll6 ) l(2 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:llll 2

ER:ll1

BB:ll2

SO:ll7

Pitches: l) 106  )(68)Strikes, )38)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 5.31 )  123.67 IP  (73 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.488 )  123.67 IP  (184 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .298  )(151 for 506)

PITCHES BY INNING  

21  ll(15 llStrikes, ll6 llBalls)

10  lll(71 llStrikes, llllBalls)

10  lll(71 lllStrikes, lllllBalls)

17  lll(91 lllStrikes, ll8 lllBalls)

15  lll(10 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

18  llll(11 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

15  llll(91 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

o

Probably the O's best piece for a 2019 deadline deal. I hope he pitches great during the rest of his Orioles tenure and they get a nice player for him next summer. 

p.s. I forgot it was a four year deal. I was thinking three. That might throw a wrench into a 2019 trade. 

On 8/12/2018 at 3:40 PM, OFFNY said:

o

In that span he has ceded 9 Earned Runs over 37.33 Innings pitched, for an ERA of 2.17.

o

o

Luis Severino of the Yankees is going in the opposite direction.

In his last 7 starts combined, Severino has an ERA of 7.50 and a WHIP of 1.722.

o

On 8/12/2018 at 3:40 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Luis Severino of the Yankees is going in the opposite direction.

In his last 7 starts combined, Severino has an ERA of 7.50 and a WHIP of 1.722.

o

o

And in the span, Severino's ERA has gone up from 1.98 to 3.27. 

o

o

This was Cobb's 7th consecutive solid outing. 

In that span he has ceded 11 Earned Runs over 46.33 Innings pitched, for an ERA of 2.14.

27 OUTS: )  12 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 7 Lineouts, 3 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Thrown Out Stealing

ALEXANDER MILLER COBB )))))))) (vs. INDIANS, 8/18)

IP:ll9 ll (COMPLETE GAME)

H:lllll5 ) l(5 Singles)

R:llll 2

BB:ll1

SO:ll3

Pitches: l) 100  )(69)Strikes, )31)Balls)

2018 ERA: l) 5.09 )  132.67 IP  (75 ER) 

2018 WHIP: l)  1.432  )  132.67 IP  (190 H/BB) 

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .292  )(156 for 534)

PITCHES BY INNING  

81  l.(71 llStrikes, ll1 llBalls)

91  lll(61 llStrikes, llllBalls)

13  lll(91 lllStrikes, lllllBalls)

51  ll(41 llStrikes, ll1 llBalls)

13  lll(91 lllStrikes, lllllBalls)

14  llll(81 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

15  llll(10 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

10  llll(81 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

13  llll(81 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

o