Keep As Many Players As Possible

Bahama O's Fan

18 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

They better not DFA Rickard. He’s been a nice piece for us, def a keeper for now. People love to hate on him, he is what he is, not everyone has to be a superstar. 

I wouldn't call it hating if you prefer to have Rasmus, Valencia, Gentry, Rodriguez, Edgin, Alvarez, Aybar, Feldman, etc to him. People from the 40 man roster need to be moved to make room for these guys.  I don't think it's hating if you think Rickard is fourth or fifth in line to be DFA'd.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I wouldn't call it hating if you prefer to have Rasmus, Valencia, Gentry, Rodriguez, Edgin, Alvarez, Aybar, Feldman, etc to him. People from the 40 man roster need to be moved to make room for these guys.  I don't think it's hating if you think Rickard is fourth or fifth in line to be DFA'd.

Sorry, just so many pieces should be DFA-ed before him.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Sorry, just so many pieces should be DFA-ed before him.

Like who?  I could see three or four.  But that's about it.  I do tend to want to hold on to pitchers more because you are likely to go though 20ish pitchers in a season before you get desperate for your seventh or eighth OFer.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Reading Showalter say that Sisco will DH some in addition to being backup catcher tells me that he will fill Alvarez's function.  I think until Trumbo comes back, that DH will be a Mancini/Valencia/Sisco rotation.

Beckham's injury would be a gateway to signing Flaherty.  Valencia would be starting 3B in that case I assume.

I would not be surprised if the Orioles start with 13 pitchers.  Gentry however still provides CF and baserunning skills that you won't find elsewhere on the 25-man.  I'm guessing that he makes it, and that would require the additional DFA.

What I recall, he said Sisco could DH some if they kept a third catcher but that he wanted to "stay away from that." I expect Alvarez to make the team and if not that Santander will be playing everyday and Mancini will DH.

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

What I recall, he said Sisco could DH some if they kept a third catcher but that he wanted to "stay away from that." I expect Alvarez to make the team and if not that Santander will be playing everyday and Mancini will DH.

I don't see the sense in paying Alvarez 3M to be the DH until Trumbo gets back.

Just leave him at Norfolk, even if he has an opt out, he had one last year and nobody but the O's wanted him.

8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Here’s the 40 man:

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/roster/40-man/

1. Susac

2. Asher

3. Crighton

4. Ynoa (close though) 

5. Kelly

6. Vielma (with Flaherty back perhaps)

Susac looked pretty good this spring

Asher had a good spring in limit action.   Surely on the bubble but considering the O's need starting depth he probably stays in the O's minor.

Ynoa - Can you DFA'd a guy that is hurt?

14 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Here’s the 40 man:

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/roster/40-man/

1. Susac

2. Asher

3. Crighton

4. Ynoa (close though)

5. Kelly

6. Vielma (with Flaherty back perhaps)

Something will need to be resolved among Ynoa, Wright, and Cortes.  I don't think they can carry all three.  But I don't think they'll want to, or can, get rid of him while he's hurt.

Asher has more value than Rickard, in my opinion, because he's a pitcher with options.  If O'Day or Givens or someone like that needs to go on the 10-day DL, you bring him up so you don't have to make a 40 man move.  If Castro is converting to a starter, Hart is the only other guy who can do that.

I believe that's more likely to happen than the need for Rickard on the team.  Especially since Hays is waiting in the wings.

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Looks like it's Cortes and either Joely or Edgin for the bullpen. We lost Mesa. I don't think we will lose anyone else at least until Trumbo comes back. That could force a decision on Valencia.

I would rather they keep Valencia than Trumbo.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Susac looked pretty good this spring

Asher had a good spring in limit action.   Surely on the bubble but considering the O's need starting depth he probably stays in the O's minor.

Ynoa - Can you DFA'd a guy that is hurt?

No but he might be when activated. He only has two pitches so it’s bullpen or bust...

Archived